• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tandoh

What Turbo On A Stdt

Tandoh

Hi,

Ive been looking and havent really found much about the actual turbo that is on the STDT.

Mine is smoking looooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaads on start up so i think its time i sorted it out ;)

So i was wondering what turbo it actually is and if anyone has the spec of it. Also i was wondering if anyone knows any other car with teh same turbo (or a bigger one) that will fit

Cheers

foreigner

You can use turbo from 1.9 td which are in:

- 306 td

- 405 td

- 406 td - 1.9 only as the one for 2.1 is bigger and you would have to some mods, someone over here done it.

- ZX td

- Xsara td

- Rover 218 td (not sure if right model)

And if you want you come down to my place and take off the one on the blown engine - that one is garret

Edited by foreigner

Tandoh

I would mate but its a bit far for me to go.

Is a 406 hdi completely different?

foreigner

I wouldn't know never seen one, but I think it would fit as it's the practically same engine.

Go for standard one and pump it up to 18psi and have spare one ready.

Cameron

There isn't really that much point to be honest.. I had a 306 DTurbo years ago and did the winding up the boost trick, wound it up to 18-19psi and tweaked the fuel slightly and noticed absolutely bugger all difference other than a bit more smoke out the tailpipe.

foreigner
There isn't really that much point to be honest.. I had a 306 DTurbo years ago and did the winding up the boost trick, wound it up to 18-19psi and tweaked the fuel slightly and noticed absolutely bugger all difference other than a bit more smoke out the tailpipe.

Then you had worn out engine and there was really no point to do that. Or maybe you didn't do the proper compromise between boost and fuelling.

Cameron

Or maybe its a pointless exercise and will get you nowhere?

Standard boost is 14psi, which is quite a lot really so its not like its de-tuned by the turbo. The engines make what, barely 90bhp? More boost isn't really going to get you anywhere, I'm not too proud to admit that it was pretty much a complete waste of time. :D

welshpug

14 PSI is sod all for a diesel engine....

18 psi odd and the right amount fo fuel equates to about 115bhp or so.

smoke on startup is not likely to be the turbo, more so worn out injectors, inefficient heater plugs, or a worn out engine or fuel pump.

taylorspug

They do respond very well to tweaking the boost and fuelling in my experience, its so easy on the older engines too. Dont go too far though, 18-20psi will see it nicely over 100hp and you wont wear the engine/turbo out in 5 minutes flat.

When i was at VW we did pretty much the same thing with a mk4 Golf which had the older diesel engine. Bigger turbo, more boost, and then just wound the fuel up. Made over 200hp in the end!

Cameron

Really? My tweaks made about a 2bhp difference in terms of feel. I guess its down to the lardyness of the 306.

MiD

Being the owner of an STDT I've been reading this with interest and have been hoping someone would explain how to do this. Could someone explain to a ham fisted very slight technical person how to up the boost and tweak the fuel.

Cameron

Google my friend. There's some pretty good guides if you want to give it a try.

All Praise The GTI

306 dturbos are known for coming out the factory with alot less boost then they ment to. when i picked mine up it was bloody dangerous pulling out at junctions etc. did some research,fitted a boost gauge and adjusted fuel n boost. i went upto about 18psi. made a silly amount of difference!!! it went very well considering was a diesel! :lol:

mikebullock84

ive had a few peugeot diesels in the past, an stdt will most prob have a KKK turbo, with lucas fuel pump. to alter the boost you need to screw in the 4mm allen bolt on the waste gate. You really need a boost gauge to measure this. If its a 1.8 td, then you can put the inlet manifold off the 306 d turbo motor and have the intercooler.

The 306 d turbo responds really well to tuning, if done correctly. The best combo engine wise was the bosch fuel pump and garrett t2 compared to the lucas and KKK. In the past i did loads for of people as i owned a heavily modifed Dturbo.

To get any gains, you need to add boost and up the fueling screw inside the pump, on a lucas its a allen key that has to be accessed by removing a plastic plug on the side. Again there is lots of stuff out on the net, just search for 306 Dturbo tuning, as they share the same XUD motor. I owned this car about 3 1/2 years ago, so my exact knowledge of what settings i changed have been foregotten, but i do still have the pics!

My 306 ran 22psi had my own d.i.y. front mount intercooler, citroen xantia inlet manifold, de cat, dump valve etc. It was rr at 127bhp

here is the allen key in the lucas pump using mirror to adjust the max fuel

DSCF1574.jpg

a KKK turbo

DSCF1560.jpg

DSCF3704.jpg

DSCF3950.jpg

peugeot306-029.jpg

weejimmy

i think all the 205 d-turbos have a lucas pump.

and most have a kkk turbo,

i tunned my stdt up on this set up to about 23psi and it went well but i think 20psi would be enough.

my g/fs 205 td (same engine) has been converted to bosh pump and a garret t2 turbo. both from a 306 td and runs 22psi and has done for ages now and its great. massive improvment from standard. just feels so much more capable overtaking and stuff.

my advice is tune what you have. if you want more power and less smoke change pump to a bosh. then front mounted intercooler as the top mount is a waste of time.

my g/f has a 4x4 cossie cooler waiting to go on. should be good once its done.

Edited by weejimmy

bales
My 306 ran 22psi had my own d.i.y. front mount intercooler, citroen xantia inlet manifold, de cat, dump valve etc. It was rr at 127bhp

Why would you put a dump valve on a turbo diesel? You have no throttle??

Aren't they just gimmicks on diesels rather than performing a useful task?

weejimmy

yes there just for the sound.

id never put a dump valve on a petrol car but i would on a diesel. just for the look you get from people

bales
yes there just for the sound.

id never put a dump valve on a petrol car but i would on a diesel. just for the look you get from people

Erm....thats an odd way of looking at things.

I used to not run a DV on my car but when running decent boost I didn't like the thought of stopping a commpressor spinning at 200,000rpm dead everytime I came off the throttle!!

Also I had considerably less lag inbetween changing gears on part throttle and tbh it was just as loud chattering as it was dumping so the noise thing was no different either way!!

weejimmy

well basicly i much prefer the nosie my car makes without one. (mazda rx7) and i dont think they help the turbo at all to be honest.

i know some people swear by them and some swear at them. on a diesel its a bit difrent so i would.

Tom Fenton
i dont think they help the turbo at all to be honest.

They really do help. I've seen a few turbos with broken shafts. If you don't like the noise, run a recirc valve.

bales
If you don't like the noise, run a recirc valve.

At which point if you have an open filter they still make as much noise! haha

To be honest you get used to both noises, the chirping/fluttering sounds awesome when you first drive it but you get tired of it after a while trust me...

As Tom says the only real way to have no noise is to have a big airbox with a recirc valve dumping back in before it.

Tom Fenton

Mine isn't that loud- recirc valve and cone filter.

weejimmy

i love the noise and dont think ill ever get bored by it,

as said some people swer by dump valves some people think theyll kill your turbo. im neiter but prefer not to run one. and was told not to by the guy that built my engine.

bales
Mine isn't that loud- recirc valve and cone filter.

Must have been a VAG thing, my golf was ridiculously loud with an open filter and standard Bosch DV.

I don't see though how having a dump valve can kill your turbo though, all your doing is allowing it to continue spinning when you back off :lol:

Anyways bit off topic now.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this