• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

2k Idle After Engine Swap

dino20vt

My mates just fitted a very early (rusty) 309 1.9 gti block into a phase 1.5 205 gti 1.9 shell. I did a similar swap recently where the 309 loom was very different to the usual 2 brown plug in a phase 1.5/2 so to make life easier used the later loom on the early block with early afm and ecu.

My first question is are the late looms compatible with early afms and ecus?

What could be causing the high idle? We've turned the idle screw (around 10mm in diameter and adjustable with a flat head screwdriver) all the way in.

What's the other screw for with a clip on it next to the idle screw?

C_W

Could be SAD related, is it plugged in? (below the thermostat).

Tom Fenton

Block the entry to the air flow meter with something whilst the engine is running. if the engine does not stall, you have a bad air leak somewhere. Have you got the bolt in the oil filler pot hole? Have you got the hose on the stub on the bottom of the inlet manifold?

dino20vt
Could be SAD related, is it plugged in? (below the thermostat).

I'm pretty sure as I put the loom on the block but will get him to check.

Block the entry to the air flow meter with something whilst the engine is running. if the engine does not stall, you have a bad air leak somewhere. Have you got the bolt in the oil filler pot hole? Have you got the hose on the stub on the bottom of the inlet manifold?

I've already checked the oil filler bolt as I had this problem on a miami years ago, not sure about the other, where exactly is it?

Miles

check the throttle cable as these can cause the throttle body to open if routed incorrectly

dino20vt
check the throttle cable as these can cause the throttle body to open if routed incorrectly

I thought that too so we disconnected the cable altogether and still the high idle

jonnyturbo

make sure the tb is closed completely, wouldnt the icv make it idle high if its blocked?

lagonda

The "screw with the clip on it" is the throttle stop adjustment.....so yes, if that is screwed in too far, you will get a high idle. But of course that would mean the engine had a high idle in its previous life, unless of course you've corrected some tuning error that it was set high to compensate for.

jengis

Just a thought, but are you sure the SAD is fitted correct way round -that the hoses are right? I did it wrong after engine swap and it caused this high idle (the shame....) ;)

Sign in to follow this