• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James_m

Slimline Rad Fans

James_m

Well ended up with a pacet fan from ebay, but its a bit on the small size - 10" Got it for a good price so fingers crossed its sufficient other wise it will be sold and swapped for another one.

But not sure what way it needs to spin in order to 'push' Through the rad, any ideas?

DrSarty
But not sure what way it needs to spin in order to 'push' Through the rad, any ideas?

3 things.

{1} The fan ideally shouldn't 'push' anything; it should pull (look at the second paragraph marked ** performance).

The fan should be on the inside of the rad, i.e. engine side, and you driving pushes air through the rad with the fan not getting in the way. Whether any manufacturers don't make it this way is neither here nor there, as we're talking slimline fans here and making them as efficient as possible.

{2} The fan blades usually have an arrow on them somewhere, which may even say 'this direction for pull' or something like that.

{3} Other wise, I'm sure you can figure it out, either with a little brain work or by wiring it one way and changing it if necessary. What I mean here is not meant to be sarcastic, but you have to visualise how the blades' shape/angle, as they turn, move the air. You can think of air as water as they behave the same way.

If you place the fan on the inside of the rad, when it comes on it should hold a piece of paper to the rad rather than blow it away.

Good luck.

Edited by DrSarty

Cameron

Don't hold me to it, but I think that the blue lead being positive makes it a puller, and black lead positive makes it a puller. Either way its dead easy to switch the polarity, you'll just have to note which direction the blade spins and the blade angle and you can work out weather its pushing or pulling.

Galifrey

as well as reversing the polarity, you need to reverse the blades as well I believe as they are curved ina certain way to make the air flow more efficient, I think that is what Dr Sarty was intimating with his post.

omega

some fans are designed to suck and some blow if you get them wrong they will work but wont be efficient and this can cause overheating proplems

Cameron

I think the pacet blades aren't curved.. will have to have a look at mine to confirm though. But yeah, if they are then you'll need to flip the blade over.

James_m

Cheers for the comments guys :wacko: Annoyingly ive discovered the fan is actually a 9" and not the 10" as advertised :)

It did have the arrow showing which way it turns, and its a push through the rad type. Even by flipping over the blades it still pushes. I guess you need to buy a different blade from Pacet if you want to switch which way it blows/suckes.

Think this could be marginal seeing as its the less efficient type and its so small, but i guess we will see. Cant be worse than the standard one which with the rad lowered so much barely blew through it and mostly cooled my inlet manifold!

DrSarty

It's not the size, it's what you do with it. :)

Cameron

That doesn't make sense. :lol:

If you flip the blade round, you also have to reverse the polarity, otherwise yes it will still push!

James_m
That doesn't make sense. :(

If you flip the blade round, you also have to reverse the polarity, otherwise yes it will still push!

lol :) Maybe i need to take another look...

Galifrey
as well as reversing the polarity, you need to reverse the blades as well I believe as they are curved in a certain way to make the air flow more efficient.

If you reverse the blades, all you do is change the efficiency, you still need to change the direction with the polarity!

James_m

Got round to fitting the fan today. Really impressed with it :) upon coming on, its reduced the temp sufficiently for the fan to switch off within probably 45 seconds.

This is on my drive way, so not really the same as with big heat soak on a summers day but im confident it will be ok.

Moral of the story is, even a small pacet like my 9" is much better than that 20yr old OEM crap most of us are using.

DrSarty

Fitted inside (pull) or outside (push)?

Glad you seem to have it sorted though either way.

James_m

Fitted it push style blowing through the rad. Would have been better behind sucking but my Mi16 manifold runs very close to the radiator leaving no or little space to fit it.

Cameron

Next job is to lower the rad then. :(

Sign in to follow this