• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chile

205 Gti Steering Wheel

Chile

Hi,

What is the diameter of the original steering wheel of a phase 1.5 205 Gti?

Cheers!

hengti

the later 3 spoke wheel is 14"; i'm guessing the earlier wheel's the same?

Chile
the later 3 spoke wheel is 14"; i'm guessing the earlier wheel's the same?

Ok, 14" is aprox 360 mm. I got a 370 mm diameter one, am I right to think it comes out of 405?

hengti

i couldn't tell you, but someone else might be able to if you post a picture of it

as it's still hanging in the garage, i've just measured my old 3 spoke wheel and it's actually 365mm. a few millimetres in the rim aren't going to affect things though - it'll be the dish and the hub that affect position of the wheel

what are you trying to do can i ask?

Chile
i couldn't tell you, but someone else might be able to if you post a picture of it

as it's still hanging in the garage, i've just measured my old 3 spoke wheel and it's actually 365mm. a few millimetres in the rim aren't going to affect things though - it'll be the dish and the hub that affect position of the wheel

what are you trying to do can i ask?

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm restoring a Australian spec 1.9 Gti phase 1.5 to original condition. The steering wheel on it (360mm) was pretty ordinary so I bought a new one of ebay. The seller said that it was an original Gti steering wheel however it clearly has a larger diameter (370 mm). I wanted to check from what car it is to have a discussion with the seller.

Cheers!

hengti

how many spokes has it got?

not sure when the Phases came in, but this is the wheel that was fitted after 1988 (the one i've got): http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/2903581...ce458da.jpg?v=0

can't find a picture of the earlier wheel, but it had two spokes, well below the centre of the rim

i think that's how it was over here (someone please correct/add if not) - no idea if the Australian cars differed in spec though

Chile
how many spokes has it got?

not sure when the Phases came in, but this is the wheel that was fitted after 1988 (the one i've got): http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/2903581...ce458da.jpg?v=0

can't find a picture of the earlier wheel, but it had two spokes, well below the centre of the rim

i think that's how it was over here (someone please correct/add if not) - no idea if the Australian cars differed in spec though

Yes, both the old and the replacement I got of ebay are 3 spoke steering wheels. The only difference is the diameter.

Tom Fenton

If it IS a 405 wheel you will find it won't fit the 205. They do look very similar though, I think the 405 wheel rim is thicker too.