• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
qwerty

Mi16 Nitrous Oxide

qwerty

Hi

I've been considering putting nos on my 205 Mi16 for a while now but don't really know much about it or where to get it from, the engine has about 3500k on it after having a bottom end rebuild.

I'm under the impression the starting point is 25bhp purge, how much power would it take sensibly? i would want a progressive setup to prevent premature failure.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that installs it?

Sorry if this has all been covered but can't find any threads when searching.

Cheers.

Paul_13

Really wouldn't bother TBH.

How much is this NOS kit?

Would it be better spending it on some PERMANENT power upgrades? Cams, Aftermarket ECU

dcc

think about the engine, it is a wet lined block. would not want to run more than 200bhp through the alloy block tbh!

mi16's respond well to a nice set of cams an/or even a well set up pair of carbs!

Paul_13

Get some MASSIVE NOS stickers for your car, improves everything

dcc

no idea why it posted 2 times

Edited by dcc

base-1

Well that was all constructive and useful wasn't it :)

You obviously know a bit about it to want a progressive setup, get a Wizards of Nos kit, their website has loads of info on it aswell.

Daviewonder

"Will you please step away from the fast and the furious dvd" :)

Goliath

I think its a good idea and have been toying with the idea of running a Wizards of Nos setup on my V6, but have decided to get some throttle bodies first :)

I would think the engine would handle a 50hp jet reliably, especially with a progressive setup. Go for it, let us know how it goes!

rapidcossie

i have seen a few NOS systems on cars and the seem to work quite well giving good gains in power measured on the RR.

Its weird doing back to back runs with the NOS off and then on and seeing the power come from nowhere really

DrSarty

Pip470 seems very knowledgable when it comes to NOS.

base-1

An Mi16 will take 75bhp all day if you have a progressive controller and a not-knackered clutch. If it's properly healthy 100bhp should be pretty easy, might need to back the ignition timing off slightly at those levels though.

I used to run 75bhp on mine, continuous hard use on track and not a hiccup.

James_R

Not the same engine, but some guys on migweb have been putting 150Bhp on progressive controllers through redtops to good effect with only a change in spark plugs :\ double the power at the flick of a swtich :)

base-1

For Mi16s, you want BCP8ES/standard RS Turbo plugs iirc. Cheap as chips and good for a fair old whack before you need to upgrade to superduper plugs.

qwerty
For Mi16s, you want BCP8ES/standard RS Turbo plugs iirc. Cheap as chips and good for a fair old whack before you need to upgrade to superduper plugs.

Cheers guys :)

Just been checking the wizard forum, looks really good

75hp should feel a far increase in power, my engine seams strong, not using any oil, no smock when cold, hot or under hard acceleration,

last compression test showed a small decrease on no.3 cylinder, is this a big problem for nitrous?

Gibbo GTI

You'll really need a direct port kit as there can be problems with fuel drop out on upswept inlet manifolds, leading to lean mixture which is baaad.

base-1

If one cylinder is down the nitrous may not be a great idea. If it's the headgasket starting to go, gas will finish it off. If it's rings, then at a sensible level it will still work, but obviously won't do it any good.

When you think about whether the engine will take it or not, just imagine bolting a turbo to it, it's essentially the same kind of deal.

pip470
Pip470 seems very knowledgable when it comes to NOS.

Thanks very much Rich. :blink: Well my mindset on nitrous may be changing. Yes its fun, yes it works great, no I havn't blown an engine up on it but and this is the biggest but, It runs out.

Scince getting back of the Euro trip I rebuilt the gti-6 and hooked the nitrous up. Yeeha. Theoreticle 50hp increase and boy does it fly. But it runs out way too fast and then your engine back to normally asperated just doesnt feel as fast anymore. I use a 5lb bottle and have an 82lb bottle in my house so i can do my own refills. Ive emptied a full bottle, in say 20 minutes using it quite frequently when traffic permits, actual time of nitrous activated was probably more like 5. You could get a bigger bottle but then the cost of filling is naturally bigger. I also find if i was just driving along, and the moment when it would be nice to shame a bigger more expensive machine popped up, I would not have opened the bottle before i got in the car. Typical.

Any way with regards your engine, single point injection will be fine with small power increases, a small amount of fuel that will be vaporised will be carried in the airflow up the manifold. When you get to larger power levels, thus injecting more fuel, your more than likely going to get the fuel drop out from single point. Id stick to no more than 50hp with single which is plenty. Also the drop in compression could be headgasket, worn or stuck rings or valves not sealing properly, what ever it is, all nitrous will do is make the part thats failing, fail even quicker.

No one should advise you to fit nitrous or any other perfomance enhancing item to an unhealthy engine. However, id fit it, use nitrous untill something breaks and then rebuild to start all over again. Its all about the fun.

After all of that my actual advice is save up and buy a supercharged gti 6 engine. lol Contradicting mother f$£%&%, yee heeeeeee!!!!

jackherer
If it's properly healthy 100bhp should be pretty easy, might need to back the ignition timing off slightly at those levels though.

Wizek was running 100bhp for ages (possibly a bit more actually) with a standard Mi16 ECU and my mate has his engine now, its still perfectly healthy, we've done loads of trackdays with no problems.

The people earlier in this thread posting misguided opinions not based on firsthand experience are breaking the rules.

when it comes to technical information and guideance, think twice before you hit

the "submit" button - make sure that information and knowledge you are about to

share is either first hand or verified fact. hear-say and deliberate missinformation

will not be tolerated. "guessing" (within reasonable limits) is allowed if it helps

finding an answer

DanteICE

I've got a book written by the owner of Wizards of NOZ and it's quite informative. If i'm not mistaken it said that the nitrogen part of N2O acts as a buffer for engine knock, so can be one of the safest forms of power increase available as long as you mix the N2O with fuel. It also said it works best with diesel engines....i didn't see that coming, if i'm honest.

Geoff

qwerty
I've got a book written by the owner of Wizards of NOZ and it's quite informative. If i'm not mistaken it said that the nitrogen part of N2O acts as a buffer for engine knock, so can be one of the safest forms of power increase available as long as you mix the N2O with fuel. It also said it works best with diesel engines....i didn't see that coming, if i'm honest.

Geoff

This was one of the things that made me think about nitrous on my Mi, its an old diesel Golf too :) , if nos does this to a old golf diesel, what will it do to my Mi :lol:

qwerty
After all of that my actual advice is save up and buy a supercharged gti 6 engine. lol Contradicting mother f$£%&%, yee heeeeeee!!!!

I think the reasons for the compression problem is due to one of the nuts from the butterfly's on the intake sheared off and was sucked straight into the pot, des developments stripped it for me, they said there was slit scoring on the top of piston not much though. Maybe there was some valve damage.

I agree completely with your comment to drive it till it breaks, then fix it properly.

Thanks very much for you advice mate, thats really useful, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Mark.

billybluesky

Hi just reading your post with interest have you looked on www.nitrous info site it may be of interest to you. bill

mattbenselin

I've thought about it but never decided it was for me. I think what has already been said about the fact it runs out all to quick and will always drain your money. Whereas carbs/bodies or whatever in theory should be bolt on and leave.

I would say before you buy a kit or consider further find a good local supplier of gas who is priced competitively too or you will be forever trying to find more gas and wasting more fuel to find it!

Results will be interesting though so keep us informed.

paulvancraen

Why put a NOS installation in, while you can increase the power with the same amount permanently? Like buy a new camshaft and chip or something? This way you won't have to worry you will blow something up...

qwerty

Anyone have any idea what sort of time I'd run a 1/4 mile with a 100hp shot of nitrous?

just want to know roughly how close I'd be to my mates scooby :P

Sign in to follow this