• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Afm...maf....map....or Whatever Sensor

swordfish210

Hi, just a qucik one before i start work :wub: . I'm chasing some problems on my 2.0Mi (in a 405) trying to get it working before i get fed up and put a V6 in it and i was wondering what sort of air sensor it has and where is it located, the car has the standard ACAV plastic inlet manfold fitted.

Also is anyone has a picture of what i'm looking for that would be great. Thanks. Mark

welshpug

apart from the MAP sensor which is inside the ECU, the inlet temperature sensor, coolant temp Knock and Lambda, nothing :wub:

swordfish210

Right well i'll ask a similar question but in a differnt way :)

The problem i'm having with the car is a big flat spot in power between 3000-4000 rpm, the engine management light comes on every now and again, the car is drinking petrol (only about 300 miles to a 70 litre tank) it stalls randomly and it boggs down for a few seconds at low rpm, such as when i pull in to a junction and go to accelarate it will just die for a second or so then pick up again.

Any ideas on what i should be looking at to solve these problems? Thanks. Mark

Anthony

Have you pulled the fault code(s) off the ECU yet? That would probably be a first port of call.

swordfish210

The last time it was on a reader it wasn't bringing up any fault codes :)

mhyphenl
The last time it was on a reader it wasn't bringing up any fault codes ;)

Had this problem on my standard 8v and it's likely to be the engine temp. sensor. They start to drift resistance wise when they get old, so, although they show a resistance within the upper and lower limits, (ie showing no fault as such,) the resistance related to the temperature is wrong and so the fuelling is wrong. If you get my meaning ;)

It could be any of the 5 major sensors that effect fuelling though!!

welshpug

pretty sure Mark has replaced that and the Lambda for new items.

as mentioned though, if the Management light comes on there must be a fault somewhere.

mhyphenl
pretty sure Mark has replaced that and the Lambda for new items.

as mentioned though, if the Management light comes on there must be a fault somewhere.

After I fixed mine with the temp sensor the light started coming on again, (weeks later!) and nothing I've done has sorted it, the fault is mixture control but i've noticed water in the oil so i think the head gasket has gone! that i'm sure would upset the readings at the lambda but the light is quite intermittant, on half of the time!

leon 1.9

Is the loom original? Are all the sensor plugs secure & clean?

swordfish210

The temp sensor hasn't been replaced but the loom for it was replaced because it was badly corroded. The lambda sensor is only about 1500 miles old but i know they can be a bit tempermental, especialy the cheap ones.

Yes the loom is original and i've had most of the sensor plugs off recently to clean them up.

welshpug

I'd replace that sensor then tbh, or at least check the resistance of it at various temperatures if you have any way to check the temps.

Tom Fenton

Have you belled out the wiring from sensor plugs back to ECU plug? This would probably be my next thing to do.

swordfish210
I'd replace that sensor then tbh, or at least check the resistance of it at various temperatures if you have any way to check the temps.

I'll give that a go as soon as i can then. Can i get the sensor from the stealers? If so how much is it roughly.

swordfish210
Have you belled out the wiring from sensor plugs back to ECU plug? This would probably be my next thing to do.

Can't say that i have, however if the new temp sender doesn't work then it will be my next port of call.

Tom Fenton

I'd do it first before throwing money at new sensors- if the wiring is high resistance somewhere then no amount of new sensors will help.

welshpug

less than £20 from memory, under a tenner from a motorfactor for an unbranded replacement one.

Sign in to follow this