• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tandoh

Removing Sikaflex/other Adesives From The Bodywork

Tandoh

Right... Well today when i was bored i decided to take the GTI body mouldings off my girlfriends Rallye.

They were stuck on very hard and there was only hte odd screw on 2 of the panels, which was quite random.

So i got them all of to find this underneath

SDC10395.jpg

SDC10396.jpg

SDC10397.jpg

SDC10398.jpg

SDC10399.jpg

It is rediculously hard to peel off and im in need of a good method or tool/solution

Has anyone got any ideas

Cheers

Luke

Oh yea thought i would add, all of this was on one side, the otherside has almost none!

Edited by Tandoh

rapidcossie

just put them back on LOL

Cameron

You should be able to peel it off, just try harder. :rolleyes:

philfingers

heat gun/ GFs hair dryer, might work. I used one to get all the sponsor stickers of my rally car when i got it.

SurGie

Yeah try the heat gun way, then carefully peel when the silicon has become softer. The picture with the body filler colour stuff looks

like it might strip the paint of if you took that off, is that hard filler stuff ?

From looking at your last picture, it looks as though the door needs to be lined up to the wing a bit.

I have this problem with mine on the front wing on my Graphite GTi, iv not attempted to take it off yet, so I'll

keep an eye on this thread to see if the heat way does work.

DamirGTI

Yes this is an real bitch job :( , i had this silicone crap on my other car under the trim panels as well .. and i removed all the sealant/silicone by rubbing it with the piece of plexiglas .. was a bit slow progres but better and easier than with my fingers :)

Other than that i remember Paintguy recommended something called "3M stripe removal / eraser" :

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...5beSQSFJR0R56gl

.. or could try with the silicone remover liquid (from plumbers shop..)

Have fun ! :)

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

SurGie

Nice one.

I should of known that with having two plumber/heating engineers in the family lol.

Tandoh

Ah great thanks for all the ideas! I will get on it today and let you know how it goes

ALEX

I've used turps on the bodywork before to remove sticker residue without any problems, I imagine if you leave it in contact long enough it would eat into the paint.

I washed it off as I went along and it was fine.

Also how about tar remover?

jason7579

My wife (honest :rolleyes: ) was watching how clean is your house last night and they used WD40 to clean up the residue from stickers on a crash helmet.

philfingers

i used celly thinners to get all the sticky marks off my 205 after removing all the old sponsorship signwriting etc. BUT this is only ok so long as it's the original paint and not celly paint, or you'll whipe all the paint off too!