• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jengis

Fuel Pump Staying On When Ignition Off

jengis

Background to the problem...

The other day I popped to the shop, five mins later, car wouldn't start. No fuel pressure so checked that the pump was priming- it wasn't making any sound so wiggled conector. Still nothing. Randomly, after scratching head getting frustrated it whirred into life... with the ignition off! Car started fine and saved me a long walk.

Today I took it out again, everything seemed fine. When I got back I started and stopped the engine a few times to try and re-create the problem. when I cut the ignition third time the fuel pump stayed on, and now I can't stop it without disconnecting the wiring.

Is this a problem with the pump or a faulty relay? tips to diagnose?

Cheers for any help

James_R

Tachy relay sticking. give it a bash

marc t

Could just be a sticky relay. I've also seen it with low battery or in some cases the alarm system seems to cause issues. Mine did this all the time till I disconnected the fuel pump from the alarm

pug_ham

If its a sticking relay a quick fix is to remove the fuel pump fuse in the glovebox, that should stop it.

Graham.

BusEngineer

I had a similar problem with mine staying on after id turned the ignition off, i took the tachy relay off removed its plastic casing, sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner and ive never had a problem since, that was 2.5 years ago ;)

jengis

Thanks,

I gave the relay under the dash a few taps and it triggers it to switch, so pretty sure its faulty relay. I will try cleaning the contacts in the next day or so.

Hate electrical problems - central locking occasionally locks/unlacks when I shut the drivers door! ;)

Cheers for helping