• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jason7579

Thermostat Housing - How Tight?

jason7579

I'm going to be doing a coolant flush this weekend and put a new thermostat in. What torque settings should be used for the 2 nuts on the thermostat housing?

I've had a look at the Haynes book but I'm not sure which bit is for the housing nuts...

Torque wrench settings Nm lbf ft

Coolant pump attachments:

XV, XW, and XY series engines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 10

XU series engines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 11

TU series engines:

Housing inlet elbow (aluminium block engines) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 6

Housing bolts (aluminium block engines):

Small bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 22

Large bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50 37

Coolant pump bolts (cast-iron block engines): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 11

I would just tighten them up FT but the last time I did a thermostat on my old GTI I ended up snapping the nut off and had to temp make do with only 1 securing it.

Thanks

mickie

can you not tell when something is tight ? or do you use a breaker bar ?

all i do with daft things like this is go so far with the ratchet, if it leaks, tighten a little more

jason7579

I've always been the type of person that says 'a little tighter, bit more, another half turn' SNAP 'whoops'

And as I said I've broken it before so I'm a bit cautious this time. I've also broken a few battery clamps and other stuff with my heavy handidness. I've got a couple of decent torque wrenches so why not use them?

if I can't find the answer then I'll do as you say and tighten it so much then check for leaks and tighten a bit more if needed.

Edited by jason7579

ORB

To be honest, I very rarely use torque settings. Thinks like this need the old 'Tight and a nip' technique.

philfingers

I think the answer is housing inlet elbow

jason7579

Thanks, will be getting it done this week - hopefully get my overheating problem sorted.

Eunosfield

Searched... Read.... Torqued to 86NM.... Snapped the stud.

I think I'll go with the nip shut until it doesn't leak method in future :-(

Looks like I have some drilling to do!!!

Daviewonder
Searched... Read.... Torqued to 86NM.... Snapped the stud.

I think I'll go with the nip shut until it doesn't leak method in future :-(

Looks like I have some drilling to do!!!

:o its got to be a typo! Wheel bolts are around that torque figure. More like 8NM.

KRISKARRERA

Oops I think I slightly over did mine. Might take it off, replace the seals and do it up again.

Masekwm
:o its got to be a typo! Wheel bolts are around that torque figure. More like 8NM.

8 Nm, 6 lbf ft

hexhamstu
:D

Eunosfield

Thats what you get for working on the car at 3am after trying to sort electrical problems all day!

Misread and made myself more issues!

No sweat though I got some sleep and extracted the broken bolt and have tightened the thermostat back down.

Unfortunately in all my flushing and dismantling I seem to now have a bottom rad hose leak, and apparently it's a pug only part.

I despise paying £20 odd quid for a bit of pipe but looks like the only way to go.

Although at least my thermostat works now :)

Edited by Eunosfield

welshpug

bottom rad hoses are about £8 or less?

Tom Fenton

Bottom rad hoses are made aftermarket by Gates and can be bought from any decent motor factor for less than £10.

Eunosfield

Cheers guys I'll try some other motorfactors.

I had a ring around but no-one around Birmingham seemed to have one in stock when I needed it, they all said it would be a Peugeot only part ;)

The local pug dealer wanted £20 out of me so I told him to jog on and modified the pipe for a temporary fix.

I'll have to try and find another one now I'm back down in London!

Sign in to follow this