• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jaked

1.6 16v Conversion

jaked

Hi all,

I think I’ve gone and bitten off more than I can chew, and could do with a bit of advice!

I bought a 1.6 16v saxo engine (that was removed from a 205 rallye) back when I owned an XS. Unfortunately that car is no longer. I then moved to Leeds, and thought ‘I know, I’ll try and start the project’. An XS shell came up on ebay…welded in roll cage, 1.9 rear beam, 1.6 hubs, spax adjustables, hydraulic handbrake and more…which is now sat in the garage.

I’ve now realised, I’ve taken on someone elses half finished project, and I don’t have a clue where to start!!!

I haven’t removed the engine, so don’t know what half the wiring is (I’d have labelled it all etc), I don’t have a gearbox or any linkages etc, the n/s hub bearing has come off, callipers are in bits.

I have so many questions, and so little knowledge, it’s tempting to ditch the idea completely and try and sell it all. But I really don’t like giving up. I want the challenge, but I open the garage, look at it and think ‘where the hell do I start’!

I’m going to buy a cambelt kit (&water pump etc) for the engine, and some engine mounts from ebay, so that I can at least try and get the engine in. There’s a guy breaking a roland garros on ebay, and am hoping to buy his front gti hub set up (discs, pads, callipers etc…which should save some work), and also gti tank (+fuel pump etc) which I know I need. I could also get gear linkages and other bits hopefully too.

I’m also contemplating buying a complete XS (or maybe base model) and use it for ‘bits and pieces’, and also to learn where wiring goes etc. When it comes to splicing the looms, I know I’ll have even more trouble!

Tell me people, am I mad, or should I try and stick it out? If anyone lives in the Leeds area, has taken pity on me and fancies lending a hand (in exchange for beer, food, track days when it’s done, or indeed returned assistance) I would be forever in your debt!

jimistdt

Hello again! I'm always willing to lend a hand Jake, and I'll be working considerably less hours in the next week or so I should be able to spare an evening or two if it helps.

I can't help you with the wiring though, never go near the stuff, and being a bit colour-blind the results could be what you might call interesting. :angry:

But I don't mind helping you with what I can.

It looks like a case of one small step at a time, finishing each step before starting the next.

PM me your number and we'll see if we can sort something out.

jaked

Cheers Jimi,

I meant to say in my pm I'm happy to help out any time with work you're doing. As I'm finding out, it's always nice to have another perspective or another pair of hands for those awkward jobs!!

Offer extends to anyone else in the area too, I'm keen to learn as much as I can!

Jake

• Like 1

DrSarty
I open the garage, look at it and think ‘where the hell do I start’!!

That is quite natural Jake, and normal with ANY large job with so many small tasks.

Don't let it daunt you, as it's precisely the reason why you need to get organised. It's also why people get jobs as project managers, because it's a case of breaking down/listing all of the tasks and doing them in a logical order.

Something else which is quite normal, is to 'substitute doing the work for buying more stuff'. I should trademark that phrase, as you, me and many others have been there too, simply because it's easier.

I would be very tempted to attack it this way.

1) Get help - you've started that, and Jimi's a sound fella (but he's not only colourblind he's sees UFOs too :angry: )

2) Work with what you have first - don't buy anymore than you need

3) Divide the job up: brakes / transmission (driveshafts and gearbox) / fuel system / engine / engine installation (incl loom)

4) Start on the bits you feel comfortable with and get them out they way - they will give you confidence and you can take on the harder stuff

5) Read and research - Haynes manuals / this forum etc / speak to people who've done this conversion

The last point is most important, as it will inspire you and if you get a go in a running car it'll give you an incentive to crack on. Once you start, you'll find yourself in the garage for entire days, working late at night and 'skipping' down to start work early as well. I find it like a drug.

Do that research and it will remove some of the black magic and 'fear' surrounding the things you're not sure about; for example wiring is completely logical IMO and not scary at all...once you understand it.

So I say go for it. Stop buying a huge a pile of bits. Just get on with what you have and only buy the bits you need to get a complete task done.

I would suggest your first goal is to get this thing on its wheels as a rolling chassis with full working brakes. Without the engine in it'll be easier to renew any brake lines and sort out the fuel tank and fuel lines. Put the engine in later when the loom's already (understood and) installed.

Best of luck.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

as sarty said, work out what you have, it sounds like most of the wiring would be sorted if the engine has already been in a 205?

it's been done a few times and Jackman has documented his yellow rallye on here, you'll find it in the projects section IIRC.

hengti

i'd go with what DrS has said pretty much - sit down and have a really good think about it all before you actually start work. assuming the shell's good, suspension/steering/brakes make the most sense (giving you a rolling chassis)

don't know if anyone's mentioned money yet, but think hard about what you'll need (parts, materials, third party labour, etc) - as that reality kills off many a project

MrG

it may seem daunting when the garage door is opened but sort through it all as the good Dr says and suddenly it's not so bad, you can see what needs doing and what is a priority.

Don't buy stuff until its needed either that way you only buy what you have to (so saving some cash) and also the parts you are buying (or bought) are taking up valuable space!

Loads of answers on here to, you've definitely come to the right forum where advice and information is concerned, stacks of it, the search function will become your best online friend!

Fox

Best thing to do, is start a project page on here, lots of photos and everyone can help!

The wiring wont be that hard!

jaked

Wow, thanks for all your replies, it's definately reassured me, apart from maybe the following:

1) Get help - you've started that, and Jimi's a sound fella (but he's not only colourblind he's sees UFOs too :) )

The forum is a great resource, and i've already spent hours and hours searching, reading projects etc etc. It drives the missus loopy!!!

I think I'm going to create a list of 'jobs' and tackle each one individually. Funny you should mention project managers DrSarty, I'm currently doing a not to dissimilar role for my company, but I have engineers etc carrying out all the technical work. My problem is I'm pm-ing, and carrying out the work (for which I don't have a lot of technical knowledge!).

Thanks again for all your replies!! Even after a skinful last night i'm up and raring to go!!!

Jake

jimistdt
Wow, thanks for all your replies, it's definately reassured me, apart from maybe the following:

:D It's a long story :)

omega

write a list of all the jobs you need to do then but it in order then when you have done a job cross it of the list[shows you making headway when you get cheesed of]

another tip is decide what you going to do that day eg remove drive shaft, then when you have done it pack up even if the jobs onley taken you ahour and you have all night

this way youdont get bogged down andyou can spend time with the familey,mates ,pub

good luck

johny105_y2k

i'm local and can give you a hand if you want.

my arm's kinda burnt now though (rad hose burst) so i can come and shout at you when you feel like giving up

also try the forsale section on here you will most likely find everything you could possobly require cheaply and your not dealing with 'strangers' well you are but you can see there topics and generally get a picture if they are reliable or not

Edited by johny105_y2k

pugpete1108

like others have said, break it down in to smaller jobs and set yourself a goal for each time you visit the garage.(i really should listen to my own advice :lol: )

my current task is getting my beam back together and get the car back off axle stands along with de-rusting/waxoyling the underside+running fuel/brake pipes inside the car as well as actually trying to get the car running.

the boys on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and more importantly support when things go bad (which the inevitabally do)

stick with it it'll all be good in the end :rolleyes:

joe1joe

i have done this engine conversion myself, and fould it simple ish (wiring was easyish but took me a long time sorting it as peugeot nuber there wires... and they rub off!!!) and well this coversion is not too bad, but what state is the shell in??? as may be easyer to have a car which is drivable and then put the engine in??? as sounds like you have ALOT of work before you even get started on puting the engine in.... depends on ur skill or even knowladge of 205s might be better off with a complete car??? as u would focus purely on fitting the engine.... as all the other things which we have all done and said that wont take long..... TAKES FOREVER! not putinh u off but if ur knowledge is small then might be beter of starting with a smaller scale project so u dont get board....

Pug310.jpg

Edited by joe1joe
  • Like 1

joe1joe

and above a pic of hte engine in my 205 :wub:

Edited by joe1joe

jaked

Looks like you've done an awesome job of the conversion, it looks fantastic. I must admit, I have seen the pic before, and may have it saved it to use as inspiration :rolleyes:

Did you use the 205 cooling system, or 106? Or even a hybrid of both?

joe1joe

i used the xs cooling system, just a modified top hose, and all is fine, but i had a new xs radiator which is why it stayed in there..

Henry Yorke

Word of warning.. don't read the forum too much and then get great plans for a 200bhp supercharged version and start buying bits from other failed projects to put in your signature!

Fix what needs fixing for the MOT, get it running, drive it, enjoy it then uprate the bits that annoy you.

You don't need Megasquirt, diffs, GTI6 brakes, 309 rear beam, eccentric topmounts, sunroof plates etc etc. You just need a car that works!