• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Wheels Rubbing On Rear Arches - 309 Beam

wildejon

Is there any way to neatly fix this problem while keeping things looking relatively original?

I have a 309 beam fitted and its been lowered one spline, but with a couple of ppl in the back, or just one in the front and my tools the wheels are rubbing on the inside of the rear arches.

I can see that it has actually started to push out the metalwork, and it is wearing away the plastic trim too. Anything I can do?

welshpug

fit 185 width tyres, and set it to near standard height, how far is one spline?? one spline for me is just under 3mm...

also check that the arches haven't actually been nudged inwards, had that on one side of mine even though there were no scuff marks.

jord294

you must have it too low to start with imho

as i fitted a 309 beam to my 205 gti which had 195/50/15s fitted, and it never scrubbed when i had 2 spare 309 axles in the back

post-11467-1250763262_thumb.jpg

pic is of how the car sat normally

Baz

Fit better dampers... :lol:

You shouldn't need to bother with 185 tyres, it must be fairly low.

rubyna

What about bump stops, are they new? you may need upgraded ones i know Taylorspug had to. plus have you changed the mounts, maybe they need uprating?? HTH

Anthony

It will catch the inside of the plastic arches initially, but it will soon trim these to shape by itself. It shouldn't really hit and bend the metal unless your bump stops are missing or excessively cut down though

wildejon

Cheers guys. I will ask Reva, he did it before I bought it.

Gaz shocks at rear...

Not sure on bump stops, I'll have a looky see. What are the options re upgrading them? (I'll search in the meantime :) )

rubyna
Cheers guys. I will ask Reva, he did it before I bought it.

Gaz shocks at rear...

Not sure on bump stops, I'll have a looky see. What are the options re upgrading them? (I'll search in the meantime :) )

As far as upgrading the bumpstops ask taylorspug as he had to do it on his gti6 project build..

DrSarty

My right hand wheel would do exactly the same; not just the plastic but the metal of the arch.

Odd how the left hand side never did it, and it's still not gone away completely even with brand new OE bump stops fitted.

Hope you get it sorted because as you go down bumpy country lanes, especially down into a dip, you cringe as you know it's coming, and you get a horrible whiff of burnt rubber, regardless of the speed you're doing, just like you can always get a niff of your fart even if you're running. :)

Edited by DrSarty

Tom Fenton

Mine has a 309 rear beam with an extra 4mm spacer each side, it only rubs slightly on the plastics on the drivers side, I've trimmed them back and it is doing it less and less now. I did fit new standard bumpstops though.

engine killer
It will catch the inside of the plastic arches initially, but it will soon trim these to shape by itself. It shouldn't really hit and bend the metal unless your bump stops are missing or excessively cut down though

I have quite thick spacers for rear and medium thick spacers for front, so all arches are well trimmed nicely after a few month thrashes. :)

wildejon

That is NOT the right attitide :)

oli-pug

You should see mine with the 7 inch wide wheels now :)