• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rory182

[misc_work] My Phase 1.5 1.9 Gti

rory182

Hi folks,

My first car was a Miami Blue phase 2 1.6 205 GTI which I bought in my final year at uni, then when I got my first salary I made the mistake of buying a new car, in the form of a Clio 182 - fantastic car, fantastic depreciation!

Anyway I sold the 182 with a view to getting on the property ladder so decided I'd get myself another 205gti as I don't do 1.2 corsas...

So back in October 2007 I flew from Glasgow to London to view a 1990 G reg 1.9 GTI on 54k miles having seen it advertised on autotrader, the appeal was it was on about 54k miles.

The original pics:

Peugeot004.jpg

Looked reasonable enough in the pics I thought but when I got to London I was a bit disappointed! So I give it a once over and a test drive and negotiated about 25% off the price on the basis it needed new bumper plastics and I'd be getting the timing belt done as he couldn't tell me when it had last been done.

So I did the deal and bought it at the reduced price and drove it back to Glasgow at about 50mph up the M1 then across to the M6 getting home about 4am lol but I was taking it easy hoping it'd make it home, the aux belt looked a bit dodgy!

I got to work on it straight away claying and polishing and cleaning and waxing, the paint was yellowy green due to sitting in a leafy London driveway relatively unused for 3 years. It needed some serious TLC!

These pics show the contrast before and after claying:

DSC00845.jpg

The LHS is clayed the rest isn't

It was more noticeable to the naked eye!

I got the car booked in for water pump and timing belt to give me piece of mind.

Then my 182 sold and the Pug became my daily runner! so I was keen to get it tidied up pretty quickly before I found a flat. My commute from my folks wasn't far at all so it wasn't a big deal really.

As a matter of course I replaced the air filter, fuel filter, dizzy cap, ht leads, spark plugs and did an oil change.

I even made a journey to Rugby to pick up some doors, a tailgate, an air flow meter and a 2.8 V6 Turbo Technics Capri... (but the Capri is a different story!)

I spent my weekends working on the car if the weather permitted, changing the bumper plastics front and back:

oldbumperoff.jpg

newbumperon.jpg

I got a text one day from a friend who was running a 106xsi at the time asking if I wanted to go for a drive, at the time I was on my folks driveway with the car in bits but it was a nice day and this motivated me to get the car back together and go for a wee blast, so I got the new bumper on and the trim etc ready just as Iain arrived and we headed for the hills:

k800forsale002.jpg

k800forsale001.jpg

The car was handling pretty badly with a mixed bag of tyres with varying levels of tread and different sizes let alone tread patterns and the brakes were woeful

So I decided it was time for new discs and pads all round and bought myself a spare set of Speedlines from ebay to refurb and then get some fresh tyres on.

I bought a flat in March 2008 which kind of threw the whole Pug project but nonetheless I got the wheels refurbed and popped 4 PE2's on for good measure, this changed the car completely making for a lot of fun in dry and wet a lot more confidence inspiring to say the least.

Work on the car ground to a halt, I used the car as a daily runner right through winter 2007 winter 2008. The car let me down once in over a years motoring when the gear linkage popped off leaving me stuck in a gear between 3rd and 5th and having to slip the clutch to get me to safety! So that was fixed the next day. and all was well again.

The pug was looking reasonably healthy and going pretty well but wasn't where I wanted it to be, here's how she looked in September 2008:

DSC01886.jpg

Then I bought myself a mk2 172 for a bit of refinement in Feb / March 09 from a friend:

DSC02169.jpg

With the arrival of the 172 I stopped using the Pug and I love the shape and style of 205gti's so I cringed when I saw it sitting there unused, I didn't want an unfinished project!

It sat feeling sorry for itself outside the flat for 3 months!

Until recently that is when I dropped a new battery in and took it for a blast to blow the cobwebs out.

Edited by rory182

MrG

nice, keep the 205 going though. I know the feeling of anticipation of a nice car only to find many flaws.

rory182

I've been working on this with a view to finishing my plans and selling it soon to free up some funds, but I WILL NOT be selling an unfinished project, I won't admit defeat!

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02635.jpg

Fitted a different tailgate as the original was dented, this is better colour match too:

DSC02638.jpg

Currently swapping the doors for tidier ones, swapping window glass over to retain etchings, trying to get central locking working and replacing the locks and ignition barrel to get everything working off one key due to it having an odd fuel cap on it when purchased.

jimistdt

Looks great Rory, especially with the manky tree sap cleaned up. Good work,very nice and original. :lol:

What about the Capri? :rolleyes:

rory182

Thanks, I can highly recommend the following products:

Sonus Grey medium clay - although they no longer produce it!

Meguiars Scratch X - far superior and safer than T cut

Autoglym Super Resin Polish - finishes the surface superbly before waxing.

The Capri got sold I'm afraid, was going to be restored and taken to drift at Crail lol but my mate sold it when he bought a Saab Viggen and an Aprilia Tuono.

I now have a Suzuki SV650 too so something needs to give, hence the Pug sale will be imminent when it's finished and MOT'd etc :rolleyes:

rory182

Progress has halted due to trying to source central locking solenoids master and slave for the driver and passenger doors respectively. Autofive want £110+ postage which I can't justify.

DrSarty

Lovely story and car. I used to ride round on my ex-wife's Suzuki SV650S too. Nice and yellow.

Dunno what you're thinking of selling the Pug for, but a guy in Glasgow IIRC (or at least Scotistan) called 'Aitchy' is looking to spend about £2,000 on a local motor. Perhaps you two should get together. You could 'PM' him.

Lovely interior, and now I know some products to clean my Evo II project up with.

:angry:

mitch205gti
Progress has halted due to trying to source central locking solenoids master and slave for the driver and passenger doors respectively. Autofive want £110+ postage which I can't justify.

I got one slave one like this click on ebay for about £4 delivered, works fine.

Edited by mitch205gti

rory182
I got one slave one like this click on ebay for about £4 delivered, works fine.

Ouch!!! I wish I'd known about those yesterday as I went and bought a brand new valeo master solenoid for £48 in AEP in Glasgow. Great guys by the way if you need anything valeo, they sell on ebay and a pleasure to deal with.

Cheers for the heads up, I contacted a few people breaking 205's on ebay and was offered original solenoids a plenty (again just after spending £48 lol sods law!)

rory182
Lovely story and car. I used to ride round on my ex-wife's Suzuki SV650S too. Nice and yellow.

Dunno what you're thinking of selling the Pug for, but a guy in Glasgow IIRC (or at least Scotistan) called 'Aitchy' is looking to spend about £2,000 on a local motor. Perhaps you two should get together. You could 'PM' him.

Lovely interior, and now I know some products to clean my Evo II project up with.

:rolleyes:

Cheers, I will drop him a PM although its not ready to sell just yet. I will MOT it next week but the tidy up is still underway!

rory182

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0322.jpg

DSCN0323.jpg

It's progressing very well, will be MOT'd and tax'd and up for sale in the next fortnight