• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyJ

Another Vote Against Halfords Oil Filters

AndyJ

After having my MI in bits last weekend doing wishbone bushes, I decided to do an oil change while I was at it. Last time I changed the filter I stuck a halfords jobbie on it, and it had worked perfectly OK for a few months, so I grabbed an identical one when I was out shopping this time.

Having changed the filter, suddenly it would take 4-5 seconds before the oil pressure light would go out if I stopped the engine for more than a minute or two. I thought I'd be alright seeing as I was swapping it for exactly the same filter, but apparently not. Dodgy/non-existant non-return valve strikes again! It was pretty odd taking the filter off and finding it completely empty, instead of getting an arm covered in oil...

Stuck a Mann filter on, and all is well again, (also dirt cheap from CAF).

swordfish210

Hmmm, i've been using halfords oil filters for the past 3 years and i've yet to encounter a problem. Even on my old Volvo 360 which the Volvo enthusiats claim will only work with a genuine filter and any others will cause engine failiure within 1000 miles.....my halfords one lasted 8,000 and a trackday and was still going strong

gti-si

I don't fanny around with oil filters, just get Mann filters, seem excellent and readily available. Halfords are too expensive for the s*it you get, you might aswell by branded.

Having said that, now I've got my trade card, it is fairly attractive

Edited by gti-si

AndyJ
I don't fanny around with oil filters, just get Mann filters, seem excellent and readily available. Halfords are too expensive for the s*it you get, you might aswell by branded.

Having said that, now I've got my trade card, it is fairly attractive

Yeah I only got a halfords one originally because it was 'cheap' and I had no cash. But a Mann for £2.99, you cant really get much cheaper :lol:

I haven't had a problem with halfords filters on other cars i've had, but 'once burned' and all that.

maxi

Main dealer everytime. I find them cheap and it looks so much better having a peugeot lion on the filter, more of a factory well looked after look.

Maxi

gti-si

Last time I went to the main dealer for one, they didn't give me a Peugeot one

MerlinGTI

Main dealer everytime here too. For such a cheap but critical part its not worth messing about.

EdCherry

Get mine through a friend cheapy cheap in bulk, got about 4 left. Citroen badge'd but hey ho, works out at £2 for a gen filter.

Cameron

I always get the Champion ones from Halfrauds and have never had any problems with them. If you pour some oil in and soak the element before fitting it can help reduce the amount of cranking needed before you get pressure. I guess you just got a dodgy one, march right back into Halfords and get a refund / replacement.

lemmingzappa

I fitted a 'Fram' filter to mine and it seems to be fine.

one-lady-owner

I had a cheap brand motorfactor one fitted until recently and having just fitted an OE one ( it was the pug lion that swung it for me!! ;) ) I can honestly say I've noticed the immediate difference in watching the oil pressure gauge, the cheap one would take a second to climb, whereas the pug one is straight up as soon as I turn the key!!

boombang
Yeah I only got a halfords one originally because it was 'cheap' and I had no cash. But a Mann for £2.99, you cant really get much cheaper ;)

Purflex for £2.40 including vat, in a Pug box...

Neat Autos (unsure if get same deal now though, but worth looking)

M_R_205

I bought an halfords dilter for my mi months ago and it took about 3-4 seccnds for the pressure to build, so i replaced it with a champin one, and its exactly the same, do you think a pug one will bean improvment? supose for the sake of 4-5£ vs engine life its worth a shot like...

maxi

This forum is full of tight fisted f***ers. Just spend a few extra pound coins and get the proper part. It will keep your engine healthy. This sort of thing REALLY f***s me off as the same people will moan at the price of a rebuild when their engine prematurely retires. Just like running cheap oil, why? Spend some money and look after your pug. You only get out what you put in.

Maxi

richsmells

Purflux filter and decent semi 10w40 every time! :D

Simes
Purflux filter and decent semi 10w40 every time! :rolleyes:

Absolutely everytime - non return valve works a treat.