• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
enduro

Tu Ma Gearbox Options (again)!

enduro

i need to fit a new gearbox to my 90 xs as a temporary measure to keep it on the road for a few weeks, so ratio's diff etc dont matter. now to widen my options from the scrappers is i haven't time for looking around, which ma boxes will definitely fit? 106's 306's 206's saxo's etc. i've done an extensive search but there seems to be a bit of confusion and some different opinions. one opinion being all ma boxes fit all tu engines, another opinion being only a pre 92 box would fit and later boxes wont match my (ally) engine bolt pattern. so which one is it guys for definite, and if the pre/post 92 opinion is correct then would it be the case i would just need to use my bellhousing.

as i'm sure i'm not the only one with this question i think it would be good to get it nailed down and piined for good.

RossD

Bolt patterns are the same afaik. I've got a couple of spare MA boxes if you are after one, both in fine fettle. I was keeping them as spares but now I've done my BE4 conversion I dont need them. You could have one for some beer tokens :wacko:

Edited by RossD

drmo
Bolt patterns are the same afaik. I've got a couple of spare MA boxes if you are after one, both in fine fettle. I was keeping them as spares but now I've done my BE4 conversion I dont need them. You could have one for some beer tokens :lol:
Actually, there is slight difference:

ux5a27quX02TnDGY.v.jpg

The left one is older type pattern (from 205 1.4 xr '88) and the right one the later type pattern (306 1.6 8v '95). The older type didn't fit to the tu5jp block. Anything from tu engined 106, saxo, etc will fit.

RossD

Where didn't it fit? The bellhousings are different\Stronger on the later MA's but the holes look to be in similar places...

Nick C

Different linkages to the box too - 1 rather than 2.

Nick

RossD

Yes, but thats because it's a 306 box, not all later MA's had this, they kept the conventional 2 lever setup. :)

drmo

RossD is right, it's a 306 box and just has different (1 lever) setup. All other stuff is the same as any other later MA box.

I can't remember where it did't fit but it didn't. If I will have some spare time I will check for you. :blush: The box has to be somewhere in my garage. :rolleyes: