• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Where To Get A New Cti Rear Window Retaining Bar?

smokey

Hiya guys

The CTI is coming along well and the roof is back on. The rear window was cracked and yellow so took it out ready for a new one but when i took it out i noticed the rear window retaining bar has badly corroded and theres not much left.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a new one.

I saw Steve@Cornwall bought a new window from

http://www.car-hood.co.uk/content.php?nID=...id=421;status=s

Not sure if they do them or not. But thought i would ask on here 1st.

Thanks

ALEX

I'm doing a full restoration on a CTI myself.

Got the roof off and nearly got the car down to a bare shell ready for a full respray.

There's endless parts I need for it when I come to rebuilding, I might end up having to buy another one just for spares.

They don't seem to hold the value as Gti's do so what you pay in parts could buy you another CTi.

The bar you need, has it got studs welded to it? Mines not too bad I was going to just wire brush it weld a few of the missing studs back on and have it powder coated.

steve@cornwall

If you mean the one pictured here

DSC00188.jpg

I believe they are still available from dealers, but stupidly expensive ( 150 ish??? :) ) I was fortunate enough to get the good one on a breaker.

Alex, you mean the one in the middle on this pic?

DSC00192.jpg

No need to weld , I used s/s countersunk screws, there's just enough room to hold the heads with either a stubby driver, or a driver bit in a socket.

You do need to take this one out to do the rear window, unless you're lucky enough to get a zipper with the same tooth pitch as yours with your replacement window - Yup, there are several pitches and the rear of the hood must be taken apart to fit the top zip section. This is when you find out just how rotten your frame really is :(

smokey

Thanks steve yeah thats the one. Mines probably about as bad as that.

So whats the deal with the zipper on the window?

Are you saying i could buy a new window from that company you got yours from and the zipper wont fit?

What do you do then?

Thanks

smokey

Also steve where is this bit from? Dont recognise that!

DSC00192.jpg

steve@cornwall

Middle piece is the rail that fits over the frame "hoop" above the rear window. It holds down the outer roof skin , the bolts go through an extended inner seam on this. The bolts also go through the inner lining and the top part of the window zipper before bolting through the "hoop"- quite fiddly!

And Yup! - the rear window comes with both sections of the zip and is unlikely to mate to the one already

fitted, even Pug items came with different tooth pitches over the years ;)

Effectively you have to remove and refit about 70% of the roof to do the rear window and zip, so if a roof replacement is on the cards at any time, may as well bite the bullet and do it together

The black part on the right in the pic is the front rail that the handles bolt to etc and anchors the front of the tensioning cables. the rear corners of these suffer with the tin worm, too

Edited by steve@cornwall

smokey

Thanks for clearing that up steve.

I've had the roof off whilst i had the car resprayed and have just put it back on lol.

When it was on i then unzipped the roof and unbolted the retaining bar.

If i buy a new rear window do i need to stitch in the zip that comes with the window?

steve@cornwall
Thanks for clearing that up steve.

I've had the roof off whilst i had the car resprayed and have just put it back on lol.

When it was on i then unzipped the roof and unbolted the retaining bar.

If i buy a new rear window do i need to stitch in the zip that comes with the window?

no, there's no stitching to do it comes already stitched in place but the top (detachable) half of the zip has a couple of inches of fabric that fit between the rail and hoop to keep it in place. The holes in the fabric that the rail bolts pass through were pre- punched in the fabric on mine

smokey
no, there's no stitching to do it comes already stitched in place but the top (detachable) half of the zip has a couple of inches of fabric that fit between the rail and hoop to keep it in place. The holes in the fabric that the rail bolts pass through were pre- punched in the fabric on mine

Ah ok cool

So would you recommend getting a window from them? My roof is a plastic vinyl one the bars seem to be pretty strong and no signs of it rusting away, apart from the retaining bar.

So think i'll keep the roof for now. Would like a mohair one eventually.

But will get the car on the road first ;)

smokey

Steve

Been looking on the site you got your window from and i noticed this:

This window section is made as original with extrusions sewn either side of rear window and a zip sewn above.

The complete hood consists of a hood section and a separate window section.

This price is for the window section only and includes vat.

So will the include the extra section you were talking about when i buy the window, or will i need to request for it?

Also Steve do you happen to know what the part number is for the retaining bar is? Had a look on Service box and couldn't see it.

Thanks

Edited by smokey

steve@cornwall
Steve

Been looking on the site you got your window from and i noticed this:

This window section is made as original with extrusions sewn either side of rear window and a zip sewn above.

The complete hood consists of a hood section and a separate window section.

This price is for the window section only and includes vat.

So will the include the extra section you were talking about when i buy the window, or will i need to request for it?

Also Steve do you happen to know what the part number is for the retaining bar is? Had a look on Service box and couldn't see it.

Thanks

HI, If you order the rear window section, you'll get al you need to fit it, no need to order any thing extra ;) afraid I have no idea of part number, but someone on here posted a couple of years ago ( I think) of how expensive they are from pug

smokey

Found it on service box, was looking in the wrong place!!

8447 34 - FIX CROSSMEMBER

Just been to peugeot and they are £169 new. They owed me £50 so decided to do for it, can't get a 2nd hand one and mine would have only carried on rusting. There was not much of the lip left on mine anyway.

There was one thing i saw on service box which i would like but no longer have is:

8449 34 - LOCK BUTTON

These are the poppers which go around the base of the roof where the roof cover pops onto. They no longer have them in stock.

Has anyone come across them else where?

Thanks

steve@cornwall
8449 34 - LOCK BUTTON

These are the poppers which go around the base of the roof where the roof cover pops onto. They no longer have them in stock.

Has anyone come across them else where?

Thanks

Local ironmongers / hardware store will most likely have some, or camping store or chandlers or search ebay for "press stud"