• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Mounting A Head Unit In The Glove Box....

hexhamstu

Second time i've had my radio stolen (last time they didnt take the whole car first though!!)

Anyway, was thinking its just an invitation to break in SO thinking about mounting it in the glove box, i usually just switch a cd on anyway and leave it. If it does get changed to the radio its usually by who ever is in the passenger seat so they will be able to control it from where they are anyway.

Anyone else done this?

EdCherry

Not done it but have thought about it several times. Easily done with most aftermarket headunits, alpine headunits for exmaple come with a new loom which means you could move the unit quite a way.

hexhamstu

Think i will probably have a go once i can afford a new head unit.

Removing the front of the headunit would obviously be the clever answer. BUT making it look as if there is no radio at all. It seems perfect! no steering wheel, no stereo and an alarm. why would anyone ever break in? may get rid of the parcel shelf as well so its obvious there is nothing in the boot.

welshpug

been a while since I had the dash off a 205 and looked closely at the radio wiring, but I'd imagine what with half of it coming from the fusebox that it would be fairly easy to relocate the plugs to the glovebox.

BERTMAN

how about the space to the right of the steering wheel, in the little cubby hole. Im sure ive seen that done before.. and then maybe just use a remote?

oh yeh, saw your other thread too... feel for you mate. Ive had two break in attempts on mine, luckily both failed.

Edited by BERTMAN

jason7579

Saw in an old car mag (mid-late 90's I think) the back a car radio in the glove box with a little slot for the tape / cd and the face for the radio sunk into the drivers sun visor. Looked pretty clever and unique, but would probably go for it in the passenger side :)

Edited by jason7579

happygoron
Think i will probably have a go once i can afford a new head unit.

Removing the front of the headunit would obviously be the clever answer. BUT making it look as if there is no radio at all. It seems perfect! no steering wheel, no stereo and an alarm. why would anyone ever break in? may get rid of the parcel shelf as well so its obvious there is nothing in the boot.

May as well put an old tape deck in the slot in the dash. Nobody would bother nicking a tatty tape unit anyway, and it'll looks retro!

GLPoomobile
no steering wheel, no stereo and an alarm. why would anyone ever break in? may get rid of the parcel shelf as well so its obvious there is nothing in the boot.

A philosphy that has served me very well. I use all of the above methods.

In my previous 1.6 I fitted the headunit in the drivers side cubby hole. Width wise it's pretty much a perfect fit. My installation was a little on the pikey side, but it worked, and once my Mi is sorted and the more important issues are ironed out I plan on doing it again, but trying to make a better job this time.

Couple of points though - firstly the throttle pedal when fully depressed can interfere with the wiring on the back of the headunit so you need to trail fit and adjust the positioning to suit. Secondly, the plastic tri is not well supported and even when empty it has a habbit of creaking on less well screwed together 205s, so add in the extra weight of the headunit and it can end up squeeking and creaking like a bugger.

EDIT: Putting it in the glovebox would probably be a piece of piss IF it doesn't interfere with the fuse box when closed. But one of the reasons I chose not to fit it in the glovebox is that I like to leave mine open to show any TWOCers that I have nothing of any value in my glovebox.

Edited by GLPoomobile

large

I Have some old head units I wil find a crap one and bring it down on Sunday.

johno_78

A tartan rug on the parcel shelf is the ultimate deterrent to thieves, as it transforms the car into an oldmanmobile rather than a hot hatch.

Jrod

Did it on the Capri to retain the original look of the standard head unit, very easy job.