• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bensonmi

Mi16 To Xsara Vts What Bits Are Interchangeable?

bensonmi

my mi engine is a pain in the @rse! every time it gets on the road it developes a new problem, this time it rattles at 3500 rpm, but it still drives ok.

iv found a xsara vts close by for a decent price, im considering having it for the engine, gear box, brakes and steering rack but am wondering would my mi loom work with it like a straight engine swap or would i have to change the looms etc over? if so how bad are they to wire up? its an early shape xsara. do the ecu's nees de coding and what sort of problems can i expect in the process?

would it be worth sticking the mi head on the xsara bottom end as its freshly skimmed or would that just be a waste of time?

any advice would be really appreciated :(

welshpug

you'll need to use the xsara loom, its as easy, if not easier to wire up than the Mi16 loom.

Mi head on a gti6 bottom end is the wrong way round to do it, you'll get a compression ratio of 9.8-1.

gti6 head on the Mi16 bottom end is a good trick though, you'll get about 10.9-1 and bigger valve cutouts.

I would personally just rebuild the Mi engine though if you haven damaged ti too much, as all the hard work of getting it in there has been done.

bensonmi
you'll need to use the xsara loom, its as easy, if not easier to wire up than the Mi16 loom.

Mi head on a gti6 bottom end is the wrong way round to do it, you'll get a compression ratio of 9.8-1.

gti6 head on the Mi16 bottom end is a good trick though, you'll get about 10.9-1 and bigger valve cutouts.

I would personally just rebuild the Mi engine though if you haven damaged ti too much, as all the hard work of getting it in there has been done.

wiring is not really my strong point, i used a pr developments loom for the mi which is good, so would prob get on for the vts if they did one,. have considered rebuilding it but have almost had a guts full of it, nearly sold the whole car the other day but couldnt justify loosing all that money!

the vts would be cheaper cash wise for me as i would do a deal on a sspare 205 i have for he car, and would beak he rest of pay for the conversion.

im guessing its the big end bearings gone on the mi, rattles only at 3500 rpm,only once warm, still good oil pressure. is it as easy as dropping the sump with the engine still in to change them? would the crank need to be removed or can it be left in? that is if it doesnt need a re gring, also would the gear box need to come out again? (5th bloody time in a short period!) i probrably sound a bit scattered here but i really cant make my mind up what to do!

bensonmi

is there a xsara wiring guide any where on here? and do you have to alter the lower mount for the exhaust manifold to clear? does the down pipe then need adapting? i know a search will tell me but im on a phone and the search doesnt work on it :lol:

i think i might be going down the vts route and sellong my mi bits, well, thats todays plan :(