• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Revamp Standard Spoiler

mrace2000

I did my Phase 1.5 with the grey stuff a couple of weeks ago (and the door handles, mirrors and other black bits with the black stuff). It comes out pretty much exactly the right original colour on the grey and is clearly not black.

My trim varied from nearly white to nearly original colour and now it all looks pretty much new, so count me as another satisfied customer. I'll put up a picture once it stops raining and I can take one... Just wish I'd taken a 'before' picture to show the difference!

The only bit I haven't done is the tailgate trim panel because I wasn't sure what colour it should be; should it be the same grey as the rest of the Phase 1.5 trim? It seems to be a different plastic and has faded at a totally different rate so I can't tell from mine.

I did mine with rags and only used a little paint-by-numbers brush for really fiddly bits where I couldn't reach with the rag. The answer is to use a lot of masking tape! The dye comes off the bodywork easily enough with a little bit of polish if you do paint outside the lines though... :wub:

chocolate_o_brian
I did mine with rags and only used a little paint-by-numbers brush for really fiddly bits where I couldn't reach with the rag. The answer is to use a lot of masking tape! The dye comes off the bodywork easily enough with a little bit of polish if you do paint outside the lines though... :wub:

LOL :lol:

shalmaneser

before...

DSC00672.jpg

after...

DSC00727.jpg

i did mine with a rag, worked fine, if you're careful you don't get much on the panels, and any you do get on comes off fairly easily with some T-cut (yuk!) and a bit of elbow grease.

Mind you, it's been a year now and i need to re apply, it's looking a little bit faded in places, but still about 100 times better than the 'before' shot! I reckon once i put this second coat on it'll be good for years to come.

SurGie
DSC00727.jpg

That look's really good for the grey stylle :lol:

stimpysaurus

has any tried this plasticare stuff on already painted trim?

I was half way through spray painting it all when i noticed this thread!

GLPoomobile
has any tried this plasticare stuff on already painted trim?

I was half way through spray painting it all when i noticed this thread!

Haven't you got more important things to be tackling on your 205? :lol: Oooops, pot kettle and black :D

Well I my trim was painted I think, as it's flaked in places, hence why I'm going through this process now. I'd bet that mine was previously done with Halfords flexible vinyl paint, or plastic primer and bumper paint. Anyway, I tried to get as much of it as possible off, but it's impossible to remove it all, so I've had to go over it with Plasticare. It does work, but the effect is different to how it goes on bare untreated plastic. Under certain light you can just about spot the places on my trim where there is old paint underneath, it sort of reflects the light differently. Not a big problem though and still looks good.

Edited by GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile

Got some pictures of one of my arches in various stages. I'll be doing my spoiler eventually so I'll update it on here when it's done.

So, the following pictures show an arch that I've masked in to sections. I think it must have been a Ph1.5 grey arch originally.

Sections:

A - A bit that was previously painted (done before my ownership) black

B - Cleaned back (as per section E) and treated with a single coat of black Plasticare. Like this is has a really nice matt texture.

C - As above, but finished with Autoglym Bumper Care (aka bumper snot). This gives it a shine.

D - As per section E, but cleaned with panel wipe. This seems to darken the grey a little. Dunno why (and yes, it was dry).

E - Old paint removed with scotch pad. Not sure if this is what the plastic would have looked like originally or if it's perhaps a lighter lighter due to being attacked with the scotch pad.

post-6307-1250637612_thumb.jpg

post-6307-1250637632_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

post-6307-1250637755_thumb.jpg

post-6307-1250637771_thumb.jpg

Can anyone please confirm if the images are clear or if they are pixelated? My T-Mobile connection compresses images, so I see them as being slightly pixelated, but I'm not sure if they will have uploaded in a compressed state as well.

Edited by GLPoomobile

EdCherry

Clear

Edited by EdCherry

stimpysaurus
Haven't you got more important things to be tackling on your 205? :P Oooops, pot kettle and black :D

haha yes that is very true but i thought this wud be one thing that i cud guarantee that i wudnt f*** up....I was wrong :D

Ive been using the black bumper paint and it seems to be going grey in areas - im obviously crap and doin something wrong!

(the good intentions are there however the brain power seems to be lacking lol)

Thanks for the pics GLP theyre really useful, infact i will bookmark this topic :D

I really like the look of section B too, I had spent hours sanding the plastic cos i wanted it to be smooth and not all dimply and not too shiney so i think ill give this a go.

I guess Im goiong to have to spend more time sanding the stuff iv just painted now :P

jimistdt
haha yes that is very true but i thought this wud be one thing that i cud guarantee that i wudnt f*** up....I was wrong :D

Ive been using the black bumper paint and it seems to be going grey in areas - im obviously crap and doin something wrong!

(the good intentions are there however the brain power seems to be lacking lol)

Thanks for the pics GLP theyre really useful, infact i will bookmark this topic :D

I really like the look of section B too, I had spent hours sanding the plastic cos i wanted it to be smooth and not all dimply and not too shiney so i think ill give this a go.

I guess Im goiong to have to spend more time sanding the stuff iv just painted now :P

Grr, You should, would and could write properly, Lianne.

Thank you, as you were. :D:P

stimpysaurus

Thank you, as you were. :D:lol:

sorry i dont understand what u mean?

whats wrong with my writing? do you mean my lack of commas? cos Ive never understood those fiddley little things and I did drop out of english u know, this is all self taught!

you should try actually speaking to me, u wouldnt have a clue whats going on :blink:

jimistdt
sorry i dont understand what u mean?

whats wrong with my writing? do you mean my lack of commas? cos Ive never understood those fiddley little things and I did drop out of english u know, this is all self taught!

you should try actually speaking to me, u wouldnt have a clue whats going on :lol:

Sorry Lianne, it's nothing to do with commas, or the lack of them, it's words like u (you), cud (could), you're not thick, that's quite apparent, but if you are looking for advice the at least consider the person reading the question. It's just general etiquette. If you're texting your mates that different, this is a forum.

Anyway, enough grumbling from me, it's making me feel old.

Ltrs X

stimpysaurus

ahhhhaa now I see!

I will take more care in future :)