• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
taffycrook

Egt Tuning

taffycrook

I have been doing some research into Exhaust Gas Temperatures, we have the ability to read these on a couple of the race cars.

But from what I understand its pointless, unless you know what the EGT should be.

To find this out requires F1 style dyno budgets.

We are looking to log EGT on a V6 to ensure the readings are uniform, cooler EGT in one cylinder would indicate a problem.

Having just lost 3 pistons this info along with water/oil temp lights might make the driver stop. (he didn't with 2 lights on).

Other race cars have just 1 thermo couple but I don't know what use this is to me, unless we spend a lot of time on the dyno.

On a road car with the dual carridgeway dyno at your disposal, could EGT help with ign mapping? I know it can be used to cross reference AFR which makes it worthwhile on the dyno.

But does anyone have any expierence mapping ign and comparing EGT. If this is sensitive info and you don't want to give away your research just let me know if it was benificial or not.

Specific temps are not important as the exact location of the thermo couple would have to be the same as would CR, cams, Cam timing, valves, exhaust design etc etc.

:):ph34r::blush::)