• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
decoc182

Alloy Block Tu3jp

decoc182

Im currently fitting my tu3jp engine into my 205. I got it from a precat ax gti with only 52K on the clock. Before I go ahead with the final stage I have considered building it into an alloy block tu3s ( from an axgt or 205xs) to save on weight. I can see many advantages to it but only two disadvantages :-

1. Is an alloy block as durable as an iron block?

2. Most TU3S blocks are high mileage now adays. Would a rebuild with new liners etc be required. If so for the bits..is it worth it?

Any opinions would be greatful

Cheers Guys :)

burr_2000

1) Depends what you are using the engine for. The GTI/XSI engine take the heat better but are about 30kg heavier but the xs alloy engine are pretty hardy, both have the same sturdy crank and rods just xsi has the better compression pistons.

2)If you feel lips or scores on the tops of liners its worn, they all pretty much will be by now just depends how much by (try a hone and take glaze off if decide to use original liners). its very expensive for liners and rings over £200.

Personally i have done this and would not recommend it because of the hassle involved. You need to use new liners and rings if using the xsi pistons. there are tolerance issues.