• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grandos

Polo Fast Idle

grandos

Any help as always...

My missus' Polo 1997 6n 1.4 8V (AEX) after servicing the motor, I noticed that the throttle valve was heavily caked in crud, so I did the normal thing, whipped it off and cleaned it out. Then refitted it and put the car back together.

So then the engine starts up perfectly (I'm thinking sweet) only the engine starts idling at between 1200 and 2000rpm. (depending if its been driven).

The car practically drives itself in 2nd gear you can just sit back and steer, and the engine does the rest!

No idle adjustment on these as they run closed loop systems.

Tried adjusting the throttle no change.

Does it need some kind of reset or adaptions cleared?

Any ideas?

EdCherry

Put it into some crud and see if it goes back to normal!

Sorry I cant help :)

welshpug

is it a cable or a motorised one? could try re-setting the ecu which is usually done by just leaving the battery off for 20 minutes or so.

may need a new throttle body, its fairly common for them to fail on some VW engine but I don't know exact details of which models this is common to.

grandos

Cable operated throttle body with an electrical connection.

I might just have to try the battery reset idea tomorrow.

She'll just have to learn how to drive a car that drives itself towards stopped traffic! :)

welshpug

just remembered i had a haynes manual for an Ibiza from my sister having one a few years ago.

AEX has a Motronic 9.0 multipoint injection system, and uses an electronic throttle valve positioning module on the rear of the throttle body, i.e doesn't have a separate idle valve, just moves the throttle butterfly.

I think this is the bit that often causes faults like these.

Edited by welshpug