• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave G

Ignition Barrel Giving Up

Dave G

the ignition barrel on my daily driver has started to go weak at the knees.

I few times in the last couple of months the key has stuck just slightly forward of the nowmal drving position leaving the car with no electric power, the 1st time the police brought it to my attention the second i noticed because the handbrake light wasnt working.

but yesterday it went a step further and not it does not spring back from the stage where you have to hold it to engage the starter. i noticed straight away but with it being lent out to close freinds its only a matter of time before they dont notice and start drivng around with the starter going.

Anything i can do?

Or tips on changing the barrel, i belieive in looking after a car if it looks after you so but dont want two keys so it might end up bein a full lokc set unless i can get it rebuilt to a key?

hengti

by far the cheapest/simplest fix is going to be a new barrel and key; not difficult to fit once you've figured it out

omega

to change barrel insert key turn it and at the same time press the pin on the right hand side of the barrel 2 min job

Edited by omega