• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Starts Up Ok Then Other Times Struggles.

dk73

Ok,

Ive a 205 1.9 gti phase 2,

The problem im getting is:

Sometimes she starts up first time,

Other times it takes about 6 seconds to start hot or cold,

Ive had a new temp sensor, also the blue thing that straps to your inner wing and used the paste to cool.

When she starts she runs fine and idles great,

Ive checked the ht lead and thats ok, nice and tight.

The dizzys good too and all the leads.

Any ideas because im running out,

Thanks.

large

E.C.U. themp sensor? The brown multi plug above the gearbox?Plugs :lol: ?

dk73

Cheers,

but its had a new one of those ecu sensors.

Paul_13

I had this problem, used to start fine, then it got worse and worse to the point where I'd nearly run the battery dead. Then one last crank, out of nowhere it would start.

Fuel pump seemed to be the main culprit.

dk73
I had this problem, used to start fine, then it got worse and worse to the point where I'd nearly run the battery dead. Then one last crank, out of nowhere it would start.

Fuel pump seemed to be the main culprit.

Its had a new fuel pump,

Do you not think this could be the coil or the injectors, i think there noisy,

So if anyone has some good quiet standard ones for sale for a 1.9 gti let me know?

Paul_13

Me :lol:

Postage mate

PM me i've got to shoot to work now but i'll sort this tomorrow for you

happygoron

I have had a similar problem lately. Maybe 3 or 4 times in the last month or two she's just cranked and cranked and eventually started when I have given her some throttle as well (not the best idea). All bar one of these times she has been a hot engine, which is when I least expect to have starting issues, though one morning this week she did it to me from cold. I can't give any advice sorry, I've not been able to see an obvious cause but I watch this thread with interest!

dk73
Me :lol:

Postage mate

PM me i've got to shoot to work now but i'll sort this tomorrow for you

Ok nice one paul,

I will wait to see what paul says pmed anyway.

dk73

Do you think i should change the ecu because ive a spare one?

Also any advice when i change it?

Do you think i should change the ecu because ive a spare one?

Also any advice when i change it?

dk73
I have had a similar problem lately. Maybe 3 or 4 times in the last month or two she's just cranked and cranked and eventually started when I have given her some throttle as well (not the best idea). All bar one of these times she has been a hot engine, which is when I least expect to have starting issues, though one morning this week she did it to me from cold. I can't give any advice sorry, I've not been able to see an obvious cause but I watch this thread with interest!

Right ive just changed the ecu and its still the same,

Ive checked the brown plug and its all good no pins missing in good condition.

The search goes on, ive put a post up for wanted so i can sort this once and for all.

davey205
Right ive just changed the ecu and its still the same,

Ive checked the brown plug and its all good no pins missing in good condition.

The search goes on, ive put a post up for wanted so i can sort this once and for all.

same problem here was waiting in line to go on the ferry earlier and she wouldn't start ^_^

powermandan

Next time it refuses to start in the first second, Take one of your plugs out and see if your getting spark.

Do you notice it happening more in the damp?

powermandan

Are you sure that the HT leads are good? With the sort of voltages that the coil makes it only takes a small fracture in the insulation to cause problems.

Id be more inclined to think your problem is ignition related, ive had a variety of fueling problems on my 309 and non of the led to the car not starting.

davey205
Are you sure that the HT leads are good? With the sort of voltages that the coil makes it only takes a small fracture in the insulation to cause problems.

Id be more inclined to think your problem is ignition related, ive had a variety of fueling problems on my 309 and non of the led to the car not starting.

one of them looks to have got a little hot at some point damn as i only just replaced them as well :-(

Paul_13

Still adamant its the fuel pump.

Me and kyepan were having a chat about fuel pump problems (same as yours) and he fitted a pressure gauge to the fuel line of his car.

Would start fine when cold, then when the engine was hot it would splutter,splutter again, splutter a bit more then jump to life.

The pressure in the line dropped and would not build back up until a few more cranks of the engine(or not at all). He said it was to do with the return valve (I believe) in the pump.

I've had the same problem in the past with my pump, changed it and had no problems what so ever.

I would be there for at least 15 mins trying to get it started to no avail, then out of no-where it would start.

Almost got stuck at a forum members house it happened... very embarrasing.

I may have a fuel pump spare if Kyepan doesnt take it, again same price scheme as before :lol:

Edited by paul_xiii

welshpug

have you checked that the pump is definitely getting power whilst this pressure drop is happening?

Paul_13

I did not check mine no, but as soon as I changed the pump never had a problem

(don't know if that was directed towards me^)

davey205
I did not check mine no, but as soon as I changed the pump never had a problem

(don't know if that was directed towards me^)

had a look at my battery water levels and topped up accordingly with distilled water they were quite low, upped the idle slightly and put redex in ..... so far so good but its probably something else thats at fault

Sign in to follow this