• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Help With Bodywork (getting My Boot Floor Straight)

djinuk

Ok , i currently have my 205 which is having a full repsray however there are some small dents in teh boot floor, and a few high spots..

Question is,..,

What sand papers do i use and in what order, and in what order to i do things.. I understand the principle of block sanding etc and i will be going to my local bodywork supplies store to get a collection of blocks and sand paper to match, however im unsure of the order that things are done in and would love to learn.

Any gurus care to offer assistance.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/29012008782.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/29012008784.jpg

as you can see ive started however i dont think ive got the order of doing things correct and ideally i need a full set of blocks i think.

willmounsey

I'd use a 180 gritt paper to start with, remove any surface rust and to key any of the paint that isn't removed.

If there's dent to be removed now the time to do so, if you can get a set of dolly's and hammers all the better but if not a lump hammer and small bit of angle iron or box metal can be used with care.

After that you could go either the hammerite route or get a coulple of spray cans (cans give a better finish but a little more messy)

If you do go the can route i'd give 3 coats of primer (remebering to let each coat 'flash off'- sligthly dry 5-10 mins) and depending on weather you want a really good finish run a piece of 320+ grit over the primer to flatten it (just be careful not to sand the primer off) and then proceed with the paint, 3-4 coats will be plenty.

This is 1 way in which I would tackle this job mate and there will be others who have a different approach to this but everyone has there on preferances.

Hope this helps

Will

djinuk

cheers man, ill be spraying outa a gun though so that no problem. Only thing is some of the dents are very small if you get me, i dont think ill be able to get them with a hammer/dolly hence i was going to attack using the filler route.

willmounsey

filler route will be sound mate (and easyier :D ) but just remember if your putting stuff in the boot watch the filled areas as if anything heavy or has a sharpe edge could crack it.

Will

djinuk

cheer man , thats cool, the cars going to be track prep so wont be anything going into the boot etc

djinuk

well today i tackled this some point, i sorted the pain bits, sanded down to a 320 grit, then threw some high build onto it and ill be flatting it all down to 400 grit.. Ive not gone to mad on getting it prefect as its only the boot floor etc , but used it more as a learning exercise

gti-si

good stuff, get some pics up