• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Xu10j4r Cambelt

Pob

Hi all,

The cambelt on my 406 needs changing and don't have a haynes manual to refer to. As far as I know it has one tensioner and one idler pulley, is this quite straight forward to change? I've done a search through the forum and came across the cambelt change info for a XU10J4RS, but this has two tensioners doesn't it?

Is there timing marks or locking pins?

Many Thanks,

Dan

welshpug

its exactly the same setup as the gti6, 3 timing pins, check that they all line up before starting, you'll have a fair chance of needing a new bottom pulley.

its the Mi16 engines that have 2 tensioners.

Pob
its exactly the same setup as the gti6, 3 timing pins, check that they all line up before starting, you'll have a fair chance of needing a new bottom pulley.

its the Mi16 engines that have 2 tensioners.

Why will a new bottom pulley be needed? Can you use bolts or drill bits as timing pins?

Thanks,

Dan

welshpug

the pulley has a harmonic balancer I think its caller, basically the outer metal section which the timing hole is in is bonded to the hub, the rubber perishes and allows the outer section so slip around making the pin place the crank in the wrong place if you use it.

you can use bolts or dril bits, plain rods are better though as they're less likely to break like drill bits and are smoother than bolts and fit better.

Pob
the pulley has a harmonic balancer I think its caller, basically the outer metal section which the timing hole is in is bonded to the hub, the rubber perishes and allows the outer section so slip around making the pin place the crank in the wrong place if you use it.

you can use bolts or dril bits, plain rods are better though as they're less likely to break like drill bits and are smoother than bolts and fit better.

Ah, I understand now... My crank pulley has only one bolt in the middle, I gather you just whip this out rather than the three bolts? Also my timing marks/pin holes are nothing like what is described in the GTi-6 Guide, I carn't even find the bottom crank pulley hole in the block to line the crank pulley up with....

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob

Pob
Ah, I understand now... My crank pulley has only one bolt in the middle, I gather you just whip this out rather than the three bolts? Also my timing marks/pin holes are nothing like what is described in the GTi-6 Guide, I carn't even find the bottom crank pulley hole in the block to line the crank pulley up with....

Thanks,

Dan

Your right with the bottom pulley, I carn't time the bottom pulley up as the inner part has moved causing the timing mark to be in the wrong place <_< Would the other type pulley work, the one with four nuts, its from a S16 block.

Dan

Edited by Pob

Anthony
Your right with the bottom pulley, I carn't time the bottom pulley up as the inner part has moved causing the timing mark to be in the wrong place <_< Would the other type pulley work, the one with four nuts, its from a S16 block.

Temporarily put an 8v one on there to time the engine up, and then put the XU10 one back on when you've swapped the belt. The 8v pulley doesn't fit properly as the offset is wrong, but it goes on well enough to locate on the woodruff key and the timing hole lines up correctly. It's what I tend to do on all GTi-6 engines as I simply don't trust the bottom pulley to line up.

Pob
Temporarily put an 8v one on there to time the engine up, and then put the XU10 one back on when you've swapped the belt. The 8v pulley doesn't fit properly as the offset is wrong, but it goes on well enough to locate on the woodruff key and the timing hole lines up correctly. It's what I tend to do on all GTi-6 engines as I simply don't trust the bottom pulley to line up.

Thanks for the info, I used your idea of the 8v pulley. Although I didn't have anything suitable to lock it off, so I stuck two M8 bolts in the pulleys and did the bottom pulley by eye...

Is it possible the outter metal part of the pulley coming away from the inner part?

Thanks,

Dan

Anthony
Is it possible the outter metal part of the pulley coming away from the inner part?

I've not personally heard of one doing so and coming apart, no - they just generally slip round.

Sign in to follow this