• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamesy

Car Won't Start

Jamesy

I decided to take the 205 to work today as it hasn't been driven for a few weeks. It started first turn of the key and I set off in the sunshine! When I came to go home the car was turning over but it seemed like there was no petrol. checked the guage and it was about 1/8 full, so I walked to the local garage bought a can and filled it with petrol and walked back. Still wouldn't start so I decided to call the AA (I got free membership when I took out my insurance last Sept) AA arrived 25 mins later and the driver asked if i was the 205 owner who had called them out last week because of a faulty amplifier. I told him it wasn't me -before he started to check the car he said I'll bet this is the same problem. He then checked various things incl spark going to plugs etc. then said that this was a common problem on 205s (he said he used to carry an amp for a 205 in his van years ago and might still have one lying about at home) He offered to give me it, if he can find one in his garage.

If he can't, does anyone know the best place to get one? Would an auto parts shop be able to get one or would it have to be a Peugeot main dealer?

Can anyone confirm if this is a common problem and what type of ignition amplifier do I need to get? Bosch? Also, are they engine specific? I have a '92 1.9 gentry....

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

James

woodsy

The amps are quite common if you have no spark,also coils.Best is to remove the amp and get the make and numbers of old one

and goto factors to make sure you get right one.Did you say you had no spark or no fuel, if no fuel could be the relay their also common

Jamesy

Hi,

thanks for your reply. No spark (AA checked with a machine). was wondering if the 205 gentry would have 1.9gti or 1.6 gti engine parts - but taking old amp off to get numbers is a great idea. Anybody know if it's easily removed? Looks like its held on with two small bolts.

Cheers, James

MerlinGTI

They are a common problem, things you should know about amps:

They need heatsink paste between the back of the amp and the ally plate. This helps heat transfer. Its just the white goop used on PC CPU's, cheap as chips from any PC repair shop. The ally plate needs to be clean and free of corrosion where the amp will sit.

The screws that hold the amp to the ally plate (Im assuming your amp is located by the coil here, not on the inlet manifold) tend to stip the thread out of the soft ally plate. If the screws wont do up tight, put longer screws in with nuts at the back (7nm IIRC)

Dont get a new amp from GSF, they are pattern part rubbish, they dont work (mega missfires) and GSF wouldnt refund mine. Steer clear of intermotor ones too. You want to stick with marelli magnetti, bosch or duceller.

I was told that you should keep the make of amp the same as your make of dizzy as far as duceller and bosch are concerned.

A new bosch amp is £75 or there abouts, the type is MTR01 I forget the long part number. Google bosch automotive, go to suppliers and choose a Bosch distruibter near you.

They arent 205 specific, other 80's 90's cars have them, some BMW's, VW's* etc... handy to know if your up the breakers yard looking for them.

They are not engine specific, 1.6 , 1.9 the same, although there are 5 & 7 pin versions (think thats right, theres 2 different versions anyway with different amount of pins)

Saying all that, I reckon its your dizzy at fault! :( possibly the coil. (mine used to do this)

If the amp dont cure it you know where to look next. :angry:

Edited by MerlinGTI

Jamesy

MerlinGTI,

Thanks for all your help and great advice - I see BOSCH on the original one, so I'll try to replace it with a Bosch one.

Thanks again,

James