• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Timing Light Buying, Advise Wanted

pugpete1108

just been looking for a timing light, and saw this on ebay:

ebay

would this do the job?

failing that there are some second hand gunson ones on there ending today.

just realised i spelt advise wrong duh

Edited by pugpete1108

pug_ham

I wouldn't bother, the timing marks are pretty impossible to see with the intake pipework fitted so they are a waste of money.

Even garages don't bother on the 205 GTI imo, set it by ear & with a few runs up a decent hill to check for any pinking under load from various rpm's in different gears.

Graham.

pugpete1108
I wouldn't bother, the timing marks are pretty impossible to see with the intake pipework fitted so they are a waste of money.

Even garages don't bother on the 205 GTI imo, set it by ear & with a few runs up a decent hill to check for any pinking under load from various rpm's in different gears.

Graham.

i think i might have to bother thanks as i had no mounting for the cps so had to 'judge' the correct postion, also i have no pipework fitted as i'm running tb's so i can see the opening quite clearly

plus its not a std gti but a gti6 running aftermarket managment so i would like to get it right.

too late anyway i already brought one ;)

welshpug

if its a gti6 there wont be any timing marks to use a timing light with.

as for the CPS, they only bolt into one place?

just take it to be mapped and they'll sort it all out for you ;)

pug_ham
i think i might have to bother thanks as i had no mounting for the cps so had to 'judge' the correct postion, also i have no pipework fitted as i'm running tb's so i can see the opening quite clearly

plus its not a std gti but a gti6 running aftermarket managment so i would like to get it right.

Well if you'd given all the info above in your inital post my answer could've been more accurate. ;)

Flywheel CPS or crank wheel pulley?

As Mei says though, the GTI-6 doesn't have any timing marks strictly although the 60-2 flywheel does have them in a fashion.

This topic should help if you have an MI16/ GTI-6 type flywheel fitted.

Graham.

pugpete1108
Well if you'd given all the info above in your inital post my answer could've been more accurate. :angry:

Flywheel CPS or crank wheel pulley?

As Mei says though, the GTI-6 doesn't have any timing marks strictly although the 60-2 flywheel does have them in a fashion.

This topic should help if you have an MI16/ GTI-6 type flywheel fitted.

Graham.

i wasn't being snotty or anything :(

i know the gti6 doesnt have timing marks but im going to put some in myself.

as i'm using a 1.6 box there was no mounting point for the cps near the flywheel, so i fabricated a mount so the trigger sees the second missing tooth at 120degs btdc on no 1

when should plug 1 fire? i mean at what angle?

so what i was thinking was:

mark tdc on cylinder 1 on both the fly and the casing and then mark 10dges btdc and use that to time the spark. would that be right?

i have quite a bit of adjustment in the ms settings so just need to get it close enoguh to fire up.

Paul_13

There was a timing hole in my 1.6 box, guess it depends what version of engine though...

welshpug

more age related than anything.

I'd be inclined to get a different box for ease of setting up, bolt it in you know exactly where is is :angry:

pugpete1108
more age related than anything.

I'd be inclined to get a different box for ease of setting up, bolt it in you know exactly where is is :(

that did cross my mind but i like a challenge :angry:

i think there was a timing hole as i remember loosing the little metal plate thing down the hole, which i found when i removed the gearbox allbeit crunched up in a little ball.

but there doesnt appear to be a mounting point for the sensor,which came from the 6 gearbox when i brought the engine.

welshpug

probably a box from 1986, msot boxes from 87 on have the hole, a mate picked up his last few 1.6 boxes for 99p each :angry:

pugpete1108
probably a box from 1986, msot boxes from 87 on have the hole, a mate picked up his last few 1.6 boxes for 99p each :(

99p? bargain :angry:

i got a diesel box in the garage but again i really cant be arsed to change it over (i know i will have to soon as i'm sure i'll pop this one anyway).

i'm pretty sure i've located it correctly but this is just to make sure.

actually i think this one was from a 309 sri cant remember what year though

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

if the casing is right, just swap the internals over :angry:

wracing

pete ive still got to send you an email the ign setting will need uploading BEFORE you plug it into the car as i have a few tweeks to the trigger points that i forgot to do

james

pugpete1108
pete ive still got to send you an email the ign setting will need uploading BEFORE you plug it into the car as i have a few tweeks to the trigger points that i forgot to do

james

no worries james, i'll give ya a bell when i get it round to setting up at home.

probably be friday night'ish

need your number again though as i brokeded my phone.

cheers

pete