• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CRM

Arrggh Gearbox Help Again Pls 1.4 2cb75

CRM

I have a 1.4CJ with the single point FI and cat on a K plate. This gearbox is doing my fruit in now. The gearbox fitted is a 2CB75 and it jumps out of gear, got a replacement box labelled 2CA35 which doesnt fit, not even close.

I am not convinved the 2CB75 gearbox is even the correct one for that year (even although it fits) as the ratios seem a bit lively to say the least. However if i can find a good 2CB75 box that doesnt crunch or jump out of gear then happy days (anyone have one ?) or does anyone know what box to look for that should be correct for the car ?

As the cars sat without a box speed is of the essence and any help would be appreciated

Cheers

burr_2000

in theory you should be able to get pretty much any TU3 engined MA gear box to fit.i have a 205 uk rallye and running a 106 gearbox in it and before that a 205 xs box. use anything from a 1.1 to a 1.4, ok ratios maybe different (my standard uk spec rallye box was to long for sprints) and might have to change speedo part but not sure why you are having difficulties. When i used 106 box i had to change driveshaft but thats because i was using rallye gearbox.

CRM

this is what we thought but its not the case. perhaps on the pre 92 motors it may be more so, but i think this engine in this car is a TU9M which limits the choice somewhat.

there must be some cross reference chart somewhere showing what will bolt to what and the changes to the final drives.

i suspect i may just get this box reconditioned. sick of it jumping out of gear now round corners when not under load

burr_2000

Then its not a 1.4 but a 1.0. I thought CJ were TU3K1 engines. :D

CRM

Ok that could be me misreading the manual. its deffo the 1.4 single point injection motor fitted. its just odd that the gearbox seems to change for the post cat engines

Edited by CRM

drmo
Ok that could be me misreading the manual. its deffo the 1.4 single point injection motor fitted. its just odd that the gearbox seems to change for the post cat engines
What I found out was that there are different bolt paterns on the block, so post cat models don't fit pre cat models and vice versa.

CRM
What I found out was that there are different bolt paterns on the block, so post cat models don't fit pre cat models and vice versa.

Now that sounds exactly like the trouble i am having. Any suggestions on other gearbox's that will fit ? i wonder if box's from 106's or other models or even saxo's will fit and do the job.

appreciate any input on this

Cheers

burr_2000

To be honest i have never really heard of this problem before.i have used vice versa and had no problems. if i was you i would go to local scrappy eye ball a 1.4 black top engine and take gearbox off. you can even make BE boxes fit TU engines.

CRM

When back at the workshop this weekend i will get a couple of pics. is there any particular view / area to get a pic to identify the difference (clearly the gearbox mounting area is a good start lol, i mean bits on the engine to identify or cause issues with other box's ??)

Cheers again