• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BamBamGTI

Is This Bad?

BamBamGTI

Found this gaping great hole in the end of the head. Im guessing the head is scrap. Is it??

th_Hole.jpg

Tom Fenton

Nope, its standard. Allows oil to drain away from the back of the seal.

You'd be amazed how many people we've seen on here who are ready to scrap cylinder heads because of this.

BamBamGTI

Not exactly professional looking? Oh, I forgot its a french car...

gti-si

Haha, this get's so many people. Including myself.

Tom Fenton
Not exactly professional looking? Oh, I forgot its a french car...

Just where the machining breaks through into part of the casting that is hollow. Professional or not, it saves another operation in drilling a hole after machining the seal housing.

BamBamGTI

Just as well I asked really, Was thinking the worst :rolleyes:

Saveit

Also got me fooled... I decided to use the head anyways though :rolleyes: Good to hear nothing is wrong.

GLPoomobile
Haha, this get's so many people. Including myself.

Yep. Been there, panicked, posted a topic on here, bought the T-Shirt ^_^

BamBamGTI

Is this bad? I think something has fallen into the cylinder at some point...

20062009253.jpg

Im talking about the scratching on the liner btw... :lol:

welshpug

I can't see any scratches, what I do see however is Honing marks :lol:

sub205

that looks just like oil from old valve-seals.

try a vacuum cleaner and some brakeclean. anyway, its just oil...

you can also fixate the liners and move the piston at the upper position to clean the mud easily off.

btw: before putting the head back on i would put some fresh oil in the cylinders so they dont run dry! only some drops, not too much.

BamBamGTI

what are honing marks?? :lol:

welshpug

google it....

Liquid_106

"Honing is the final process used in the machining of cylinder bores, either during manufacture or in re-sizing (re-boring). Honing is used as a process to both remove the final amount of metal to get a cylinder bore to within the required size limits, and to put a surface on the cylinder bore which will give good life span, and aid lubrication and oil consumption characteristics in use."

:lol::blush::P

sub205
what are honing marks?? :lol:

there are also "horny marks", this happens when one evening your girlfriend is to wild ;-)

BamBamGTI

thanks, looks ok then. Just gonna clean up these piston heads and im back on the road :lol:

sub205
thanks, looks ok then. Just gonna clean up these piston heads and im back on the road :lol:

i hope you changed the valve seals and regrindet the valves. in my oppinion thats an absolute "do" when pulling the head!

BamBamGTI

Discovered this on removing the head and pistons. Looks like something fell into the liner at some point. Should I change this Liner and piston? The valves are ok though.

th_361.jpg

th_362.jpg

Also cleaned up the liner with a hire brush on a drill but still couldnt remove this corrosion. The seal seat is fine though. Although, on the inside there is some scoring from whatever fell into the liner on the inside.

th_364.jpg

Damage to the head. I thought this would be ok on the rebuild because the piston obviously doesnt come up this far on its stroke, and wont make contact. The damage looks superficial in my opinion.

th_360.jpg

I have another set of liners and pistons from a previous engine. Is it possible to interchange liners and pistons from other engines? They are both 1.9s from 1989.

sideways danny

those marks are from very heavy detonation. What is controlling your fuel and ignition? is it a standard ECU?

BamBamGTI

yup

sub205

do you have a photo of the inside of the liner? when there are no scratches at this point, its ok to use it.

the piston should be no problem when you remove the sharp edges and polish the damaged surface.

i would also polish the scratches on the head away!

sideways danny
yup

too much ignition timing, or very lean then. is it only on 1 cylinder?

I'd expect the ringlands and the side of the piston to have similar marks (smaller) with that heavy damage to the crown happening.

BamBamGTI

Yea, its just on the one piston, the rings are ok. there is some scoring on one side of the piston and one side of the liner. Ill post some pics later.

BamBamGTI

Piston crown here has damage at the side as well as the top but the rest of the piston is ok. The marks here match the marks on the liner.

th_P1010016.jpg

BamBamGTI

Pics of the bad liner. I was wrong - theres scoring all around the liner.

008-6.jpg

006-5.jpg

004-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

Sign in to follow this