• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Mi

Mi16 Gearbox Diff And Driveshafts

Chris_Mi

Hi all,

Probably some daft questions, but you don't know if you don't ask! My questions relate to the fact I have bought a Mi16 box without a diff.

Firstly, are all BE diffs interchangable? I think the Mi16 box is a BE1, and I currently have a BE3 1.6 box, so could I use the diff from this in the Mi16 box?

Secondly, what determines which driveshafts can be used? Is it the clutch? I still have 1.6 driveshafts, will they fit with the Mi16 clutch/gearbox?

Hopefully these do not sound daft! And before you all ask, yes I did a search, but nothing in the last two years seems to cover these aspects specifically.

Many thanks

Chris

Tom Fenton

Firstly have you got the crownwheel (large gear, bolts to diff) as this is matched with the pinion in the gearbox.

I'm not 100% sure if the Be1 and 3 diffs are the same, I think they probably are but someone else can confirm this either way I'm sure. But you need to use the crownwheel that goes with the gearbox.

Regarding driveshafts, any shafts will fit any gearbox, it is the cv joint size that differs, 1600 shafts fit 1600 hubs, 1900 shafts fit 1900 hubs.

tombo

if you dont have a crownwheel with your mi16 box, i sure as damn it would love to purchase your mi16 gearbox pionion from you lol

thanks

tom

Chris_Mi

Thanks for the offer Tom, but I'm looking to keep it :angry:

I'm not too sure if I've got the crownwheel. I think I just have the box, and what appears to be the long shaft protruding (oh er).

With regards the crownwheel, is this something that is part of the diff or the actual gears of the box?

Cheers

Chris

pug_ham

The crownwheel bolts to the diff & you need it to have the Mi4.4 FD.

Without it the gearbox is only useful for the casing & ratios inside unless you can source another.

It should be stamped 14 x 62 iirc for the correct 4.4 ratio & looks like the part in the piocture below;

atbinstall5.jpg

Graham.

Chris_Mi

Right, done some more reading, and I definately have a diff of some sort. Not taken it out yet to check yet though.

So, a few more questions:

Does the speedo drive have to come off to look at the diff crownwheel number?

What is the 'pinion' that matches up to the diff? I have a shaft of some sort protruding out of the gearbox, is this the pinion, or is it something else?

If it turns out I have a different diff than the 4.4, can I just source the crownwheel, or do I need anything else, i.e. pinion? Can I use the same diff shaft and bearings, or will I have to source the full 4.4 diff?

What part does the clutch mate with, is it the diff i.e. what determines which clutch I need, presumably I can't use the clutch in my 1.6 gearbox?

Finally, I was told to replace some seals. I am a bit scared to pull the gearbox open, and disturbing the cogs. Is changing the seals easy/required?

Sorry for all the questions, it is just that I'd rather know before I pull the thing to bits!!!

Many many thanks

Chris

Miles

To check the crownwheel you need to remove the diff cover, If it looks like nothing has been moved then it all should be fine, CWP's are match'd set's so you cannot mix and match them

The diff seals are what you need to change, Just remove and replace them, simple as that. They are where theD/S fit into

If you not sure about box's then please don't attempt to take one apart,

Chris_Mi
If you not sure about box's then please don't attempt to take one apart,

LOL Miles - but that is how you learn! Fettling :rolleyes:

With regard to the CW Pinion, which part is this? Does anyone have a picture of it in situ? Is it contained within the diff housing, or inside the gearbox housing? There is a shaft which runs through the centre of the gearbox housing, which I presume has the 1st to 5th gear cogs on it. Is this the pinion which should be matched to the crownwheel?

Sorry for the daft questions :wacko:

welshpug

if you really do want to have a go, the 205 haynes manual covers the BE gearbox pretty well.

try google or wikipedia for the terms you don't know :rolleyes:

p.s, pugtorque gave you a picture of a crown wheel....

pug_ham
Does the speedo drive have to come off to look at the diff crownwheel number?

Yes.

What is the 'pinion' that matches up to the diff? I have a shaft of some sort protruding out of the gearbox, is this the pinion, or is it something else?

If its protruding out of the gearbox, where exactly? Inside the bellhousing & its the input shaft that fits into the middle of the clutch to connect it to the engine via the clutch friction plate.

If it turns out I have a different diff than the 4.4, can I just source the crownwheel, or do I need anything else, i.e. pinion? Can I use the same diff shaft and bearings, or will I have to source the full 4.4 diff?

The crownwheel bolts to the diff but like Mles said, they are matched pairs so you can't mix & match to get one.

What part does the clutch mate with, is it the diff i.e. what determines which clutch I need, presumably I can't use the clutch in my 1.6 gearbox?

The clutch from your 1.6 will be fine in an Mi gearbox, most you'll need to do if yu have lots more power & torque is fit an mi16 clutch & flywheel but they fit inside the bel housing of both the Mi (obviously) & 1.6/1.9 gearboxes fine.

Have a look at the articles on the main website & most of your questions can be answer in a couple of the topics such as Clutch change or Quaife atb swap which shows the picture I posted above & more about getting to the diff to see the crownwheel.

Graham.

Chris_Mi
Yes.

If its protruding out of the gearbox, where exactly?

Thanks all, the shaft I mean is the input shaft, which I have now discovered (thanks again) mates to the clutch.

Graham, thanks for the pointers to the articles, my confusion is predominantly caused by the piece that is refered to on most diff articles as the 'pinion', but never shown explicitly in detail/pictures. I was under the (false?) believe that this was a cog, seperate to, and which mated to the crownwheel, and what I was trying to ascertain was whether I had this piece or not in the gearbox I bought.

Therefore, final question. Is the piece commonly refered to as the 'pinion', located inside the bellhousing (i.e in with the input shafts, reverse shafts and the like), and cannot be seen without opening up the gearbox, or is it inside the diff housing which can be opened seperately (and contains the diff bearings and CW)?

Slightly confused, partly because all the diff articles I read do not identify clearly the 'pinion'. Also spent an hour looking at Servicebox to try and work it out, but made me more confused!!!!!

Once again many thanks for your patience

Chris

pug_ham
Therefore, final question. Is the piece commonly refered to as the 'pinion', located inside the bellhousing (i.e in with the input shafts, reverse shafts and the like), and cannot be seen without opening up the gearbox, or is it inside the diff housing which can be opened seperately (and contains the diff bearings and CW)?

The pinion is on the end of one of the main gearbox shafts, when you take the diff out of the case you can see some teeth, these are the end of the pinion shaft.

This webpage shows a full gearbox strip down for swapping the crown wheel & pinion.

Graham.

Chris_Mi
This webpage shows a full gearbox strip down for swapping the crown wheel & pinion.

Brilliant, just what I was after. Many thanks.

Chris