• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

5th Gear Is No More

Tom Fenton

5th gear has decided not to work, feels like it goes in, but no drive. No nasty noises.

Anyone come across this? Any potential easy fix? I'm going to pull the tin end cover off first off and see if there is anything obvious in there.

jimbean

I have had a similar fault on a 307 after a gearbox rebuild

In 5th went into i fairly big dip in road as suspension rebounded i heard a audiable click and the car jumped out of 5th

Would not engage at all

When i pulled the cover off the shaft had sheard at the nut shoulder.... :mellow:

The shaft on that box was hollow and obviously had a flaw in it

hope yours is just a loose nut....

Toddy

Had the same on the M18 slip road leading to the M1, hit some standing water in fifth, when I took the end plate off, it appeared the nut had worked loose as it had not been staked, it had also stripped all the threads.

Needed a new gearbox, which I did 2 months later after commuting on the M18 with fourth as the highest gear, use to cruise at 5500rpm no problem!

Miles

It's getting common now that the spline strip's so the gear just spins on the shaft, Mainly due to the nut's never being done up tight enough from new

Tom Fenton

Hmm, I hope I don't find this, but I've a funny feeling I may do.....

jackherer

I've had that happen but there were a lot of nasty noises... it literally sounded like someone was banging the floorpan with a big bucket of bolts as hard as they could but it still got me home (~60 miles) after I removed the debris and put new oil in!

Nasty pics here: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=91499

That car had been running a huge shot of nitrous in the past, and other people running a bit too much power through BE boxes seem to have had the same problem. It had a Quaife fitted so I guess fifth gear is the next weakest point after the standard diff.

Tom Fenton

Had it to pieces this morning, turns out the nut was loose, on removing it all the threads were stripped out of the nut, the shaft was OK, phew no 1.

Withdrew what I would call 5th gear synchro hub, to find this had also stripped all its splines, presumably because the nut was loose. The shaft again looks to be OK, not perfect mind you.

So I raided a gearbox that was already partially in bits, and came up with a replacement nut and synchro hub, I've replaced them and am about to try it up the road. I think it will work for now, but if I'm honest I'm holding out no hope of it lasting for very long.

Annoying/odd thing is that this box is the one that came out of the car and had been working A-OK. On the first drive up the road it seemed to jump out of 5th and lose drive, but then it weirdly came back again a day later.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Tesstuff

Have a spare Gentry auto box if you need it Tom, just shout up fella :)

p.s It's free as well :)

Tom Fenton

I have a feeling 278Nm may destroy it? LOL.

skeggyrik

A Phew from me.... :o

i thought you meant the tv programme :D

Tom Fenton

Ha ha :D

pug_ham
5th gear has decided not to work, feels like it goes in, but no drive. No nasty noises.

Anyone come across this? Any potential easy fix? I'm going to pull the tin end cover off first off and see if there is anything obvious in there.

This used to be quite a common problem on the phase 1 306 D turbos iirc.

A couple of mates had a similar thing happen to them & iirc it was under an hour to fix & never failed again while they had the cars but I suppose with your extra power & torque it could be something more serious.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

Its done matey, read on in the thread!

However the splines on the shaft are not 100% so I don't think its a permanent fix, but its working again for now.

Sign in to follow this