• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jas-E

Coolant Temp Sensor

jas-E

Hey,

I've got my mi engine running and all gauges on the dash are working other than the coolant gauge. I had 2 more sensors lying about at home from my 8v engine and one from a 1.6. I tried them both but they don't seem to be working aswell.

I connected the red spade connector directly to earth and turned the ignition on and the gauge reads off the scale. So wiring is ok. I have tried testing the gauges in boiling water, but am unsure how to do this. Since its just a spade connector (as opposed to a 2pin where u just check resistance across the pins) how does the sensor earth itself? I wound a wire to the threads of the sensor and put it in boiling water and it still doesnt read.

What are the chances of having all 3 buggered sensors?

Oh and is this sensor only available from peugeot?i tried gsf and ecp and none of them list it..

thanks

Jas

Edited by jas-E

woodsy
Hey,

I've got my mi engine running and all gauges on the dash are working other than the coolant gauge. I had 2 more sensors lying about at home from my 8v engine and one from a 1.6. I tried them both but they don't seem to be working aswell.

I connected the red spade connector directly to earth and turned the ignition on and the gauge reads off the scale. So wiring is ok. I have tried testing the gauges in boiling water, but am unsure how to do this. Since its just a spade connector (as opposed to a 2pin where u just check resistance across the pins) how does the sensor earth itself? I wound a wire to the threads of the sensor and put it in boiling water and it still doesnt read.

What are the chances of having all 3 buggered sensors?

Oh and is this sensor only available from peugeot?i tried gsf and ecp and none of them list it..

thanks

Jas

If you earthed it out that shows the gauge and wiring is ok so i would say it got to be the sender unit.Strange though if you have tried 3 others

Edited by woodsy

pug_ham

Have you got the wire connected to the correct sender?

The temp sender & warning switch are easily crossed & your guage won't work if they are but you might have a faintly glowing stop light on the dash iirc.

If you have the original 205 sensor loom in iirc the red capped plug goes to the smaller red ringed sender.

Graham.

jas-E
Have you got the wire connected to the correct sender?

The temp sender & warning switch are easily crossed & your guage won't work if they are but you might have a faintly glowing stop light on the dash iirc.

If you have the original 205 sensor loom in iirc the red capped plug goes to the smaller red ringed sender.

Graham.

Hey Graham,

You got me thinking now..There is a red capped plug and a yellow one? (iirc) next to the distributor..i have connected the red capped one to the one that sits higher of the two - the sensor is a 16mm hex and goes in pointing downwards.

I didnt notice the warning light glowing faintly at all, but wasnt looking out to be honest...

Cheers

Jas

DrSarty

Hi Jas:

Glad you got her running (at last). :lol:

You could just swap the spade connectors over, i.e what you thought was the temp switch (it only lights the warning light on/off by earthing it), swapping that wire onto the sender, which is deeper and I suppose is a solid state variable resistor sending a varying earth to the guage.

If not, as it seems your wiring circuit is servicable then really it can only be the sender at fault or both of them.

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 1

jas-E

Hey Rich,

Yea finally got her sorted. Just this last bit and hopefully should be ready for a MOT. I'll try swapping the connectors over on friday (unfortunately only get to work on it over the weekends) and let you know how it goes. Will post some pics up when its done..

Cheers for your help

Jas

pug_ham
There is a red capped plug and a yellow one? (iirc) next to the distributor..i have connected the red capped one to the one that sits higher of the two - the sensor is a 16mm hex and goes in pointing downwards.

Hmm, I think they are in the wrong order.

Just checked them on my 8v & the red goes to the smaller red ringed sensor & the yellow to the long one.

Graham.

jas-E
Hmm, I think they are in the wrong order.

Just checked them on my 8v & the red goes to the smaller red ringed sensor & the yellow to the long one.

Graham.

Hey Graham,

Yes they were in the wrong order. I swapped them and the gauge is working fine. Thanks.

Jas

Sign in to follow this