• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simes

Head Unit Dimmer Function

Simes

Has anyone wired their headunit up (if it has the function) to auto dim when you switch the lights on?

Do you just connect this up somewhere (before relay) on the headlight circuit?

Had it for three years and never bothered, ;)

Robbie G

My car had the factory stereo loom still intact, Im not sure how common or otherwise this is.

I bought an adaptor for my headunit plug from Halfords and just connected them. The dimmer function then worked straight away with the lights. What im saying is if you have connected your head unit's loom to the factory wiring loom then you cannot really fail. If you no longer have the factory stereo loom then I don't know where to connect it too. If you HU has the function then surely you can just connect one jack to the other?

Guest Wiggs

Just had a look in my 88E 1.9GTi and there isn't a connection on the connector for the dimming of the lights. I've got the original stereo connector in there and have used an adaptor for the stereo in the past, it didn't dim. Can't check my 91J 205 1.9GTi though as previous owner chopped the original Peugeot connector.

Don't know if this will come out or help you, but looking at the adapter you need the connector on the original Peugeot stereo connector to have the pin 4 wired as shown below;

(Looking at the original Peugeot stereo connector from the socket side)

-------------------

|1|2|3| |4|5|6|

-------------------

|7|8|9|A|B|C|D|

-------------------

1 - Right rear +

2 - Right front +

3 - 12V power +

4 - Car light

5 - Left front -

6 - Left rear -

7 - Right rear -

8 - Right front -

9 - Ground

A - Electric aerial

B - 12V memory +

C - Left front +

D - Left rear +

Simes

Got original wiring in.

Can't be arsed to hack into the loom now as something may go drastically wrong!! ;)

C_W

Not all radios dim with the lights on, standard fit radios tend to but better spec (but lower range) after market ones don't.

Mine has been cut off too before the days of the ISO universal adaptors, but I couldn't actually find the wire that is from the lights to dim it, so I scotchlocked a wire down from the stalk I think.

Guest turnip

My Blaupunkt became difficult to see when 'dimmed', so I disconnected it.

So IMO don't worry unless your head unit is so bright it distracts you at night.

Matt

DrSeuss

My car had no connector so i bodged in one i got from Maplins. The panasonic hu i've got doesn't dim when you put the lights on. Absolute nightmare messing around with not enough wire in such a small space.

Guest dave364634

iirc its a orange wire on the hu that gets 12vdc when the side lights are on.

Guest alexdeann

i found it utterly useless so disconnected it again

Guest Neosophist

before I got a new loom after someone stole my car, I think I took the illumination wire from the rear screen switch as it lights up when you turn the lights on and activates the dimmer, I think it's the solid green wire on the plug of the switch, i just scotch locked it and linked it to my orange wire.

Regs,

Martin.

and as somone else said, it also made my stereo hard to see when dimmed so I turned it off on the h/unit. Probably something to do with the interesting position of the stereo in a 205 :lol:

Good luck

Sign in to follow this