• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Welding Gti6 Manifold

Having a few problems re-welding my manifold. I have reangled it fine and it was spot welded with a MIG. It was taken away by my mate who can weld (ish!) for him to finish it off - seal it up etc. Got it back today but have since found there are about a dozen pin-holes throughout the welding. I'm pretty sure he used a MIG.

Took it to an exhaust place and they said it would need TIG welding (which I understand is easier to do fiddlier bits).

Is this correct?

And, if so, anyone know anywhere/anyone around Swindon or Cheltenham who can do this for me?

It's really annoying as I had planned to fit the manifold and get the engine running this weekend. Can I start the engine and let it run (if I can get it started!) without an exhaust mani fitted? Will it do any harm? Obviously I won't be driving it or even moving it, it's just to see if my wiring is correct (or more likely how incorrect it is :lol: ).

Cheers

Pete

Anthony
It's really annoying as I had planned to fit the manifold and get the engine running this weekend. Can I start the engine and let it run (if I can get it started!) without an exhaust mani fitted? Will it do any harm? Obviously I won't be driving it or even moving it, it's just to see if my wiring is correct (or more likely how incorrect it is :lol: ).

You can start it, but it will be VERY loud and be spitting flames out of the exhaust ports, so you really wouldn't want to leave it running for more than a few seconds...

Oh. Better get it fitted then...

Know anywhere round Swindon good for TIG welding?

Cameron

I'm not that near by, but I can do it for you and do it properly. :wub:

That's a very kind offer. Where in Northamptonshire are you - PM if you want.

wracing

i don't really see why it has to be tig welded. i would knock off the weld with a grinder and go over were ever needs attention. you never going to get it clean enough for a good tig weld anyway. post some pics if possible. i think there are trying to rip you off im sure an air grinder/ die grinder and mig will do fine

Cameron

Between Daventry and Banbury.

It doesn't have to be TIG welded, but you will just get a much nicer result. I now have the equipment to back-purge welds so you won't end up with all the horrible tumours you get when welding stainless.

richsmells

Swindon to Banbury isn't too far. Go the Chipping Norton route, there are some good roads! Sorry off topic!

Edited by richsmells

PMed you, cheers.

Below should be a couple of photos (phone only, so quality not very good) but hopefully it gives you an idea. The black circles are where I've marked some of the "pin holes" with a marker pen.

post-8379-1244301011_thumb.jpg

post-8379-1244301039_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2052006

B1ack_Mi16
Below should be a couple of photos (phone only, so quality not very good) but hopefully it gives you an idea. The black circles are where I've marked some of the "pin holes" with a marker pen.

Those welds looks like they have been done by someone who just can't weld.

If you use the MiG the correct way it's no problem to get proper burn in dept and nice looking welds, not to mention leaks..

That's surely not the MiG's fault but the welder <_<

Tom Fenton

Unfortunately it looks like your mate has good intentions in trying to help you, but his welding isn't really up to it.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right! Thanks for your honest opinions :P I think I will test fit it tomorrow morning again, make sure it's still at the correct angle. And then get it done properly :)

wracing

i would cut that back off grind off all the weld and start again.

Alastairh

Deffinatly looks like bird s*it, find another mate...

Emmy Seize

Ok, welds are not pretty indeed.

However, that isn't necessarily down to poor welding skills.

From personal experience, carbon deposits from exhaust gasses on used manifolds can cause big trouble, even if the welding kit is set properly.

I would follow the advice of cutting the welds and starting again after giving the insides a good clean with a wire brush.

Cameron

It can cause trouble, but with a MIG you won't end up with dog vomit like that unless you don't know what you're doing.

taylorspug
Those welds looks like they have been done by someone who just can't weld.

If you use the MiG the correct way it's no problem to get proper burn in dept and nice looking welds, not to mention leaks..

That's surely not the MiG's fault but the welder :rolleyes:

+1.

Ive MIG welded a few of these now, and they actually weld up very nicely if the welder is set right.

Cameron

It goes without saying really, but you'd be surprised.. You should use stainless wire! :)

Ben_M
It goes without saying really, but you'd be surprised.. You should use stainless wire! :)

thats how I did mine

taylorspug
It goes without saying really, but you'd be surprised.. You should use stainless wire! :D

:D :D

Edited by taylorspug

welshpug
:D :D

Ditto! :D

Cameron

No point in having a nice stainless manifold / system if your welds just rust away! :D

I've been guilty of doing it in the past, I wouldn't now though.