• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gav_mi16

Zx 16v Lack Of Power 3-4k Rpm

gav_mi16

Had this ZX a few months now and I love the handling.

Anyway, the engine is very strong after 4k rpm but there are two main issues;

Hesitates when given some throttle on idle

Painfully slow acceleration between 3 to 4k rpm (as soon as it passes 4 it pulls like a train), almost as if you are pulling a tractor behind and then the rope snaps when you reach 4k

Very good compression and pretty even, and i've tried a spare ecu also

Any ideas chaps?

Anthony

Is the ACAV working properly? It's a common fault on those engines (XU10J4 - same as found in 405 2.0 Mi16 and 306 S16's) and makes the engine flat as a pancake at low revs when it's broken

gav_mi16

As far as I can tell yes, a couple of things were changed. I'm not very familair with the system though and might have missed a hose or two when checking.

Will an ACAV fault be that dramatic?

I'll search for a guide and check again.

James_R

In short, yes very much so.

Check both sides on the inlet manifold work and the throttle is opened from idle (look at the rods coming out the bottom of the diaphrams for movement)

It can mostly be the solenoid packing up which is located on top of the gearbox.

gav_mi16

OK, thanks for the help chaps, I will have to dig a little deeper then, it does help that i have a complete spare engine to try things, I had bought it over a year ago just for the block and head as a spare for my Pug, as i converted it to a 2.0Mi with all 1.9Mi wiring and manifolds after blowing up 3 1.9's I went down the 2.0 and never looked back!

welshpug

As mentioned, check that the solenoid switches (at circa 1800 RPM IIRC) and opens the butterflies.

Having said that, do bear in mind that it might not actually be that bad low down, but feels like it because its soooo good above 4k.... :D

gav_mi16

My brother has dropped off a load of new bits for me :( but i'm still trying to get my head round this ACAV system. I've searched for a schematic but havnt found one, anyone have one?

VisaGTi16v

Look for the two round mushroom shaped things shown in the pic below. Note the small thin metal rods coming out of the bottom of them. Watch one at a time and rev the engine slightly, just as the revs pick up the rods should be sucked upwards which is done by a vacuum. Make sure both are working. Its common for them not to. If they dont then it will be getting far too much air at lower revs which its not mapped for and hence will be down on power, this is why when you fit a gti6 manifold to them, yes you get more power top end but you lose the initial low down grunt.

If you increase the revs to just over 5k the rods drop back down as it opens up the 2nd inlet tract. Its common for them to either break or there to be a leak in the pipes somewhere, be careful where the pipe pushes onto the top of them as they are so fragile. When it goes back to idle they also drop back down

Welshpug: Although the Haynes BOL says they act at 1800rpm, every zx 16v ive seen they moved right after idle and didnt return until 5k

untitled4.jpg

Edited by VisaGTi16v

gav_mi16

Thanks for the pic, so down at idle, up between 1800 to 5080 then down again.

What i mean about a schematic is like an electrical diagram so i can trace all the hoses pumps servos and check it all over. So far i've found a little unit front o/s, unit back n/s, something on g/box, something bolted to the head and pipes going to ecu.

I feel like a baby learning all over again, I know my xu9j4 loom inside out.

Oh, by the way the solenoids don't move at all, stuck in the down position, I can hear a loud sucking noise on idle from the afm area :)

Edited by gav_mi16

welshpug

there is no AFM....

gav_mi16
there is no AFM....

bah, you know what i mean :)

welshpug

do I? I have one outside and can't imagine what you would refer to as an AFM :)

James_R

throttle body area??

Just look over the vac hosing, you'll be looking for vac line to solenoid then it goes on a T to the two diaphrams, also check the 4 way valve thingy on the Vac pump, if this is knackered then you'll get a Fail of the ACAV system.

gav_mi16

One of the diaphrams wasnt working, the vaccum suction was leaking through it so the other didn't work either. Replaced that one off the spare engine and the system worked fine on the drive and down to the first junction, it felt good. After that I was doubting if there was any real difference. Got petrol, came back, checked over and it's not working again :rolleyes: this time no vaccum, diaphrams are working.

There are some differences to my spare engine, i don't have that big disk thing. The spare is believed to be a 405.

405 spare engine

SNC12774.JPG

My ZX engine with problems

SNC12777.JPG

I'll check the solenoid when i have some time. Something has obviously gone because it has had to do some work for a change :ph34r:

Edited by gav_mi16

welshpug

is your ecu/battery box just removed to work on it?

I don't think there's a vacuum accumulator on the zx because the ZX uses a vacuum pump and the 405 doesn't.

Edited by welshpug

gav_mi16
is your ecu/battery box just removed to work on it?

Yep, battery box removed to work on it otherwise i can't see bugger all down there! I was looking to see if the components are the same. As I said before i'm new to the ACAV system having always just thrown it out when fitting the engine to my pug.

I don't think there's a vacuum accumulator on the zx because the ZX uses a vacuum pump and the 405 doesn't.

ah, so that's the different, thanks for that. Anyway, can't see the same solenoid on the 405 engine, so i'll source one. It's getting vaccum, but not "switching", havn't checked the voltage yet as my multimeter is pooped.

welshpug

solenoid is definitely on the 405 engine, had to change it on mine, its normally bolted to the plate above the accumulator in your picture where the vacuum pipe sits disconnected.

a side repeater bulb holder borrowed from the scrapyard is enough to test that the ecu is sending the switching signal :rolleyes:

Edited by welshpug

gav_mi16

It must have been pinched by someone then.

What's the voltage for the solenoid? 5v or 12v?

welshpug

now you mention it I don't know for certain and can't find any reference to it, I do know you would most likely find it in autodata's ecu pinout and function listings

it did light up a 12v bulb IIRC.

Tom Fenton

5v is usually just for sensors, something like a solenoid valve I would expect to be 12v, but don't take that as gospel.

Sign in to follow this