• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Hazzah! A New Problem Lol

chocolate_o_brian

This issue has started today while pootling about, but I doubt its the warm weather.

Symptoms...

Car driving fine, but the STOP light, oil pressure light and water temp light are flickering when driving. Oil pressure is good, oil temp is good, and water temp is fine (82 deg).

The car is ok when driving, but when dipping the clutch or coming to a halt, it's misfiring between gear downchanges and on idle.

Looked under bonnet and no air leaks visable. Checked coolant, all good, will check oil once cooled. No loose hoses, couldn't see any connections missing/loose. Fiddled with idle control screw to give me a slightly higher idle as the car is/was spluttering about 850 with the fans on.

Asked a mate who thinks its probablt 2 seperate problems, a bad connection for the flickering lights, and a spark issue for the misfire. Even had a bit of a pop/bang earlier, reminded me of the Scoob. The plugs/leads are new (last 3 months) and ig amp is all good I assume.

Any help or advice appreciated, I thought my car was telling me its dying earlier and I was awaiting the loss of power and loads of smoke ;)

Cheers

Anthony

If all three lights (STOP, oil pressure, water temp) are flickering on then it's likely something to do with the low oil pressure switch - be it the switch itself, the wiring grounding out against the engine block, or you actually have no oil pressure and the gauge is lying...

chocolate_o_brian
If all three lights (STOP, oil pressure, water temp) are flickering on then it's likely something to do with the low oil pressure switch - be it the switch itself, the wiring grounding out against the engine block, or you actually have no oil pressure and the gauge is lying...

I take it the switches run together then, so one flickers, they all do like a xmas tree.

The car seems to drive ok, pootling and hard (was frustrated with it earlier so pushed the loud pedal down a bit), and the oil pressure gauge moves up and down all good, similar readings to before.

Oil temp switch, is that the one on the front of the block above the filter? Theres two switches there, which is which switch ;)

I'm tempted to buy a new fuel filter and coil from Autofive or where ever is cheapest, see if that helps the misfire. I dunno if they're related and to be honest I'm genuinely looking at selling the car now for something more reliable. :D<_<

Anthony
I take it the switches run together then, so one flickers, they all do like a xmas tree.

Low oil pressure switch turns on all three lights (STOP, low oil pressure, high coolant temp) whereas the high coolant temp switch only activates the STOP and high coolant temperature lights.

chocolate_o_brian
Low oil pressure switch turns on all three lights (STOP, low oil pressure, high coolant temp) whereas the high coolant temp switch only activates the STOP and high coolant temperature lights.

Where is the low oil pressure switch under the bonnet then Anthony? I'll have a look and see whats what under there.

What would cause low oil pressure (which I doubt and hope its not) ;)

Anthony
Where is the low oil pressure switch under the bonnet then Anthony? I'll have a look and see whats what under there.

What would cause low oil pressure (which I doubt and hope its not) ;)

On the front of the block to the right of the alternator - there's two senders there, a larger mushroom shaped one which is the oil pressure gauge, and a smaller one next to it which is the low oil pressure light.

From how you describe the gauge it seems unlikely that it's a genuine low oil pressure issue, but rather electrical gremlins of sorts.

chocolate_o_brian
On the front of the block to the right of the alternator - there's two senders there, a larger mushroom shaped one which is the oil pressure gauge, and a smaller one next to it which is the low oil pressure light.

From how you describe the gauge it seems unlikely that it's a genuine low oil pressure issue, but rather electrical gremlins of sorts.

I'll go with you on this one as you're a lot more clued up than me on 205 electrics, no 205's altogether ;)

Had a looksy then and nothing seems to be out of place or loose. Dunno if it's something more underlying deep inside the loom, have to see when the car is next used. One thing I did notice, (as the car was warmed while pootling around, then left while I did the food shopping, then driven home and warm again) was that the flickering tended come on when the car was warm/hot and everything was upto running temp. Is that anything to go by?

Also, the misfire... any suggestions on what to replace?

chocolate_o_brian

BLOODY CAR...

I had to pop out earlier to get some hamster supplies, so thought I'd give the car another chance before I take a bat to the damn thing.

Picked up the stuff I needed and pootled round for 10 miels or so and watched the car get warm. Oil was about 80-85 deg, pressure as it should be (or always is) and coolant a steady 82-85 deg.

Gave the car absolute hell up a 2 lane carriage way that was empty up a hill and back down again. Redlined in first 3 gears to see what happened. No misfiring except on idle and the oil got upto 110 deg :D . No flickering lights or anything telling me to ease off. So cooled the car down with a couple miles easy driving and parked the naughty bitch up ;)

Misfire is still there on idle, so I am gonna change the fuel filter and may do to coil, then most ignition stuff is new.

I'm not sure which coil is right though as mine is cylindrical with wire terminals all over the top. I've seen square ones but they look totally different. <_<

GLPoomobile

You've got a Ph1.5 I'd imagine, so have the earlier wing mounted cylindrical coil. The Ph2 had the coil mounted on the inlet manifold, and it was a shorter and fatter cylinder with a square thing around it.

chocolate_o_brian
You've got a Ph1.5 I'd imagine, so have the earlier wing mounted cylindrical coil. The Ph2 had the coil mounted on the inlet manifold, and it was a shorter and fatter cylinder with a square thing around it.

Yes fella, I have. Just infront of the coolant header tank and as you say screwed on to like a bracket with wires going everywhere.

Just not sure which is which as GSF, Autofive and Eurocarparts haven't got pics of the specific unit.

I'm not sure where to order the fuel filter and coil from.