• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

205 Diesel Gearbox

tidypug

Hi all,

I'm wanting to put another gearbox in my car as the one in at the moment ( 1.6 with Mi 5th) is getting a but hard to get into third. I was going to put a 1.9 box in but don't seem to be able to find one very locally so i was thinking about a 205 diesel gearbox. What's the gearing like in these?

I seem to remember Sean (banned member) having a spread sheet that had all the gear ratios of all the pug boxes in so you could see what revs you would be doing but as he's been banned i can't find it. Has anbody got that spread sheet?

richsmells

There's a useful table on this page: http://www.205gti.com/techgearboxUK.htm

Someone should be able to supply the spreadsheet that's floating around. It has a ratio calculator allowing you to work out road/engine speeds with different final drives etc.

Edit, the formula's written on the linked page.

Edited by richsmells

tidypug

top stuff thanks guys :lol:

pugdamo
top stuff thanks guys :lol:

Sorry to hijack your thread but could you tell me did it make much of a difference?and what kind of revs your doing with the MI 5th gear at say 70mph?

Thanks in advance

mattbenselin

1.6 box and fd with mi 5th: +/-3202rpm @ 70mph

standard 1.6 5th: +/- 3665rpm @70mph

Edited by mattbenselin

pugdamo
1.6 box and fd with mi 5th: +/-3202rpm @ 70mph

standard 1.6 5th: +/- 3665rpm @70mph

Thanks for that,thats better than what iv got,just the next problem now is to find a blown MI16 box :lol: ,unless theres any other boxes with similar ratios?

Thanks again

mattbenselin

0.76 5th gear can be found in Mi box, 205 diesel box, 405 sri/glx box and prob many more. there has been a few topics on this recently and loads in the past which have varied outcomes...the majority saying don't do it!

Sign in to follow this