• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Budget Paint Fix....

madspikes

I have a 1992 Steel Grey GTi (did look really smart) and all the panels are suffering with really bad paint rot. It was getting so bad on the roof that the paint was comming off as dust on your hand, and in places it was down to primer and it started to rust! So I gave it a bash at using helfords rattle cans to fix the roof... To cut a long story short, a couple of years down the line it needs doing again, but this time more of the car needs doing.

The problem is with this cruchy credit thing going on, babies etc I afford to get the car running (see supercharging thread) and get the body work fixed properly eg full respray. I'm just looking for a solution to protect the car for a couple of years till it can be fixed properly. My current half plan is to sand down the really flaky paint and rattle can it with a solid colour, like matt black or white. I also played with the old roller'd on paint... Worked ok on a test I did on an old bonnet, but wasnt sure about doing a whole car with it.

Suggestions Please.

mad. :blush:

ORB

Seriously, I would just rub it back as best you can with thou grit, paint it in its original colour using a compressor if you have one, if not, use pre made up cans from a Paint Suppliers.

Polish it back, laquer and then buff it. it will give you a a good job if you take your time.

Rock Lobster

I@m picking up an MI16 this week, the paint was red and is now orange! Is a quick respray as simple as you make it sound?

M@tt

Mad > Proper matte black it it will look ace :(

madspikes

I'm not sure if I should take you serious.... on the old matt black front... There was someone on here who did their car Matt black... but I cant find the pictures....

mad.

M@tt

i'm serious i think it would look ace

madspikes

The idea I had a few months ago was, matt black, re-colour plastic mouldings back to a nice deep black, then do the red stripe and nice deep red. The wheels would need to be coloured to match, maybe matt black again... with the same red as used on the stripe on the brake calipers.

Now you've got me thinking! :D

mad.

Maccer

My mate has a Mk1 Golf Gti in matt black with black steelies. It looks proper mean!

jimistdt

I'm pretty sure Hodgy did/was going to do his in matt black.

GLPoomobile

After repeatedly telling the guy (forget his name) that it would look crap in matt black, and just isn't a 205 GTI kind of thing to do, I had to admit that it did actually look quite cool in the end. The icing on the cake was when he and his friends were re-designing it every day with chalk pictures :D

I reckon you should go with matt black Citroen steelies too.

number2301

That was the intent but due to a paint f*** up it went gloss black. Looks much better gloss imo anyway!

toddydal

yeh but didnt he get runs all over it when he did it gloss,i bet when you got really close up it wouldnt have looked as could in a picture close up ther would have been runs,reactions,dryness,orange peel,and coverd in s*ite and thats not good for who buys the car next with a crap paint job it can knock a fortune off the price next time you try to sell it on