• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Luca

After Market Ecu

Luca

Hey guys,

Has anyone dynoed a car with an AFM on it then put an aftermarket ECU and dynoed it again?

Interested to hear the results.

Regards,

Luca

petert

Hans's old 205 Mi16. I removed the Motronic 1.3 and fitted a Haltech E6X and four LS1 coils. It jumped from 92kW at the wheels to 101kW.

welshpug

Not strictly aftermarket, but mine went from 122bhp on standard AFM Jetronic to 129 on MAP based Motronic.

(for those not working in Metric, the figures Petert quoted are equivalent to 123 hp to 135 hp, ATW) :D

Edited by welshpug

Luca
Not strictly aftermarket, but mine went from 122bhp on standard AFM Jetronic to 129 on MAP based Motronic.

(for those not working in Metric, the figures Petert quoted are equivalent to 123 hp to 135 hp, ATW) :blush:

$5,000 AUD for 9kW or 15bhp! Is it worth it? Do you really feel that much of a difference?

petert
$5,000 AUD for 9kW or 15bhp! Is it worth it? Do you really feel that much of a difference?

What costs $5000?

Yes, you can feel the difference, even on a standard engine.

welshpug

yes, that 9kw/12bhp isnt the whole picture, the way the engine reacts to throttle input and the extra mid range torque is definitely worth it, MPG is quite a lot better too.

hexhamstu

This is the plan for my future car, a standard rebuilt mi on aftermarket management. So would be great to see your results if you do it, as welshpug has said he saw a differance in his car.

Edited by hexhamstu

bales

I personally think the main benefit is more the scope for tuning your car once you have a decent ecu.

If you looked at it purely as a bolt on modification then no, it might not make as much financial sense as other mods in a purely £/bhp manner.

It depends what you are looking for out of the modification, power/drivability/future tuning etc etc...

Miles

I gained 9bhp on a Blue Printed 1.6 8v engine, Can;t recall the torque now but the midrange was allot better and allot less under the bonnet

Tesstuff
I gained 9bhp on a Blue Printed 1.6 8v engine, Can;t recall the torque now but the midrange was allot better and allot less under the bonnet

a lot not allot

Henry 1.9GTi

yeah but how much power do you get for a lot?

hexhamstu
yeah but how much power do you get for a lot?

It's not the best mod for bhp increase per pound, no.

Luca

Ok so got quoted $5000 for a Motec PeterT - Fully fitted and tuned etc...

I've done all of the other mods you can to the 8v motor except the aftermarket ECU. I was waiting and putting this off as I love my cars to be stock and this will be the visible change under the bonnet. Sounds gay I know but I see classics like the Alfa 105 GTV today and the best ones are all stock as a rock. The modded ones look shabby...

richsmells

You've kind of contradicted yourself if you now want a completely standard car. At the top of this thread you were asking how much extra power you could gain.

You could get a pair of carbs and gain more power for a similar price, but as has been stated, aftermarket management will provide more scope for engine modifications in the future (throttle bodies etc should you wish to go down that route.)

On an otherwise standard engine, junking the clockwork management, tired old wiring and the rest of it will make the car more reliable and give it better road manners and drivability (in traffic for example). Fully mapped ignition and fuel for your individual engine would get you optimum power whilst improving economy.

Throw in a lumpier cam and you may see a little more. Having aftermarket management will enable you to fit a slightly lumpier cam and still retain some road manners, dyno mapping will help with this.

I've just noticed you're in Oz! Some of these things may not be as relevant as they perhaps are for a daily driver here in cold, rainy England. Certainly a nice steady idle on a cold, winter's morning is worth the outlay! :)

Edited by richsmells

petert

You can keep it looking stock by removing gizzards in the air flow meter. You still retain the standard air temp sensor, so wires will still go to the AFM. It's not that difficult and $5k is very steep. Can I do it for $4K? Which management does it have now?

Luca

Hey rich - yeah i re-read that post and it is slightly contradicory however stock is a relative state, i like to interprit 'stock' as using all of the factory major components whilst making it better with eclectic items. I'm getting to a level where I'm allowed to start putting pics of my car up in a gallery so will do soon! You will see that from the outside it looks like it's new apart from being lowered. Now that is cleared up...

It's on standard '89 Eng management. I wasn't looking for the ducks nuts in ECUs but wanted to ensure that there was constant evolution of the car with slightly more power each time. I'm up to the stage where I want to have the ECU but wanted to get the right one; set realistic expectations about the performance improvement; get an idea about pre & post figures.

gti_al

You would probably see some gains from the ecu, but it felt great when i drove it luca. I know i still owe you a go in mine, but you aren't going near it until i am happy with it! I'm having clutch problems, and it is a bit difficult to drive

Anyway, i'm sure the ecu would allow for you to continue to improve the engine. It is a stunning car, and has by far the nicest 8 valve engine i have driven, so it deserves it. Just being able to get rid of the distributor and afm would modernise things, and improve your drivability. That said though, it is pretty good how it is now...

gti_al

Actually luca, are you going to come for a drive with us next month? I meant to pm you telling you about it

What are the exact specifications of your engine too?

Luca
You would probably see some gains from the ecu, but it felt great when i drove it luca. I know i still owe you a go in mine, but you aren't going near it until i am happy with it! I'm having clutch problems, and it is a bit difficult to drive

Anyway, i'm sure the ecu would allow for you to continue to improve the engine. It is a stunning car, and has by far the nicest 8 valve engine i have driven, so it deserves it. Just being able to get rid of the distributor and afm would modernise things, and improve your drivability. That said though, it is pretty good how it is now...

i'm thinking continuous improvement.... or evolution..

thank for the kind words Al. The engine specs are '89 bottom end (fully rebuilt) with a '93 Si head (head has just under $4k of work) with that cold air mod you saw. it makes sence to chuck an ECU on.

do you know anyone in Melb who can help out?

gti_al

If you give it to a mechanic they will charge a fortune, and maybe do a good job. If you want cheap, graham wallis could build a megasquirt, get it running and you could have the loom done properly by an autoelec, and have it mapped. I'm not at all sure about megasquirt though. I drove casnell's rally car briefly the other day, and it was primitave. It may just be the map though

I would get a haltec fitted by amcc next time he is in melbourne

petert
I would get a haltec fitted by amcc next time he is in melbourne

My pick would be the Haltech Platinum 1000. Excellent value at approx. $1800 + fitting.

Luca

Haltech it is then. Cheers fellas.