• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

How Do I Get Out Of This?

Atari Boy

Okay, I know you are thinking how and what a d*ck and I would answer, easy and probably.

I have been trying to swap my phase 1 rear lights for phase 2 ones. I have the clusters, I even have a Pugtorque plug and play loom, easy I thought.

I won’t go into how I managed to do it bit I am now in the situation where I have the number plate loom stuck inside the rear sill and the string that is was attached to snapped off, i.e. it is stuck in no man’s land. The nearside to offside loom has been removed. The only possible redeeming feature is that I have a piece of sting from the nearside to offside light holes.

How can I get out of this pickle? I have been thinking, would it be best to get the bumper off (if I can that is, it looks a pig of a job) and try and get the number plate loom attached to the spare length of string and start again, would that be even possible?

I have searched on here and unsurprisingly, no one else has been as stupid.

Ideas, solutions and a small amount of piss taking welcome.

davepug205

Take the bumper off and use a coat hanger or a piece of 2.5 cable to pull the wires through :)

pug_ham

Old metal coat hangar, unbend it & it should be just about long enough to reach right through from one side to the other iirc. :rolleyes:

Other than that I think I used a piece of wire locking wire twisted up & pushed it through to one side from behind the bumper as suggested above (but without removing the bumper) & then pushed it through the other way when I had the string & wire out in the middle. (or do it this way with a metal coat hangar).

Graham.

Rom

Ha !

I had to do just this the other day. Th bodyshop put the plug for number plate lights in the hole, but never fedd it alogn to the OS light unit. I think thats what youve done ? Got it lost in the section of boot panel.

I used a small pair of long nose pliers, to get between the top of the bumper, where i could just get to the wires, i then fed the loom in with the pliers bit by bit.

When i couldnt get it in anymore. I used a piece of wire (rod), i bent a hook on the end, and played go fish from the OS end !

Surprisingly, this worked, took a lot of patience though.

Atari Boy

Okay so it might not be the end of the world, I was so pissed off earlier.

So can the bumper stay on, it sounds as though there is nothing to be gained by trying to get it off.

What is 'wire locking wire' Graham, I have never heard of it.

Thanks chaps, feeling a bit better.

Rom

Yeah i didnt take mine off. Didnt dare as its all freshly painted.

Even with it off, you still have to feed it through. So may aswell persevere.

Locking wire is used for nuts with holes in etc, fed through and the twiseted tight.

Anything you can bend a hook in should work. I tried a metal insert from a wiper, but it wasnt long enough. Welding wire would work too.

Atari Boy
I used a small pair of long nose pliers, to get between the top of the bumper, where i could just get to the wires, i then fed the loom in with the pliers bit by bit.

When i couldnt get it in anymore. I used a piece of wire (rod), i bent a hook on the end, and played go fish from the OS end !

I will go out and have another look but I didn't see a gap or hole at the top of the bumper, where should I be looking?

Locking wire is used for nuts with holes in etc, fed through and the twiseted tight.

Where can I get locking wire? It sounds useful, I will dig out a wire coat hanger also.

Thanks chaps.

pug_ham
What is 'wire locking wire' Graham, I have never heard of it.

As above, stainless wire of varying guages for locking nuts & bolts in high vibration areas to prevent them from working loose when you don't want them to. Once twisted up it can be quite stiff especially on the higer guage wires.

Where can I get locking wire? It sounds useful, I will dig out a wire coat hanger also.

I get mine thorugh work but I think you can get it from places such as Demon Tweeks or maybe even on ebay.

Graham.

welshpug

Motorbike shops too :D

Atari Boy

Thanks chaps, I will leave the bumper where it is, I have bought some decent garden wire.

I will report back.

Atari Boy

It worked and on my first go! Thanks chaps, very happy, all light fully working.