• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Noooo, Roof Skins No Longer Avalible

djinuk

Been speaking to my local pug dealer, and the non sunroof roof skins are no longer avalible.. this isnt good as i really need one for my project :lol:,. crap.

GLPoomobile

Can't say I'm really surprised.

djinuk

not sure how easy its going to be to remove a full roof skin from a scrapyard and then refit it.. fitting one was going to be hard enough. Really am pretty damn gutted, has anybody ever removed a 2nd hand roof skin?

AdamP
not sure how easy its going to be to remove a full roof skin from a scrapyard and then refit it.. fitting one was going to be hard enough. Really am pretty damn gutted, has anybody ever removed a 2nd hand roof skin?

Cut through at the pillars at the scrappy, drill out the spot welds when you get it home! Sorted :ph34r:

djinuk

hmm yea i guess that makes sence really :ph34r:.

djinuk

spoke to my bodywork man and he says no chance of removing a roof skin off one in a usable condition. :ph34r: back to the damn drawing board.

rubyna

It can be done, there was a post up on here roughly 2weeks ago max,the person had removed a non sunroof skin from his local scrapyard!!

Id say finding 1 will be the hardest part probably but it can deff be done.So chin up that man.. :ph34r:

BERTMAN

narr, anything can be done... maybe your bodywork guy just aint good enough? lol :ph34r:

thirdtimelucky
spoke to my bodywork man and he says no chance of removing a roof skin off one in a usable condition. :ph34r: back to the damn drawing board.

I removed a non sunroof skin from an old auto shell and fitted it to my 205 no problem. As AdamP said get down the scrappy and cut the 6 pillers nice and low and when you get home drill out the spot welds. if you remove the paint on the pillers you will find where the roof skin has been brazed on, use these as a guide where to cut. Easy job, I had the old roofs off and the non sunny fitted, filled and primed in a day. and im a DIYer.

Paul.

djinuk

s*it me, sounds good, hmm he seemed to think that when removing it , it wud kink up , but ill take your word for it and keep a look out for one :ph34r:

martyn180

DJ who's your bodyman? Autobody craft do mine, and he used to work for Dilks bodyshop, Swad Pug dealer 20 years ago- before you where born I expect= i broughty my first pug in 1988 from there white 1.6 gti with full group a rallye stripe but was a b reg with winding windows lol , Ask him he would know as good as anyone, and he does do quiet a few rs owners club cars so he pretty good.I know you ahvnt seem my car up close only on the A444 but I think he done a pretty good job. He's behind the big pet shop on Midland Road Ind Estate

Martyn

thirdtimelucky
s*it me, sounds good, hmm he seemed to think that when removing it , it wud kink up , but ill take your word for it and keep a look out for one :P

When you remove the panel the front and rear braces come with it, same as when peugeot supplied them so they are fairly ridged its a 2 person job realy, my brother helped geting the roof into place while i put a few spot welds in.

djinuk

hey martyn.. Where abouts is autbody craft ? is that woodville? I think i may take a trip up to see what he thinks then. Ill speak to my mate also, and pay the derby scrapyard a visit in serch of a roof :P

fast_eddie

I did this with my 309 as it had a full wind back sunroof in it. It needs patience to remove the old roof using the spot weld remover tool, then patience to clean everything up!!

Patience is the key I guess?

Good luck.

djinuk

are spot weld removers simply a drill bit .. are they diffrent sizes etc ?

martyn180

DhJ, from the the bus park driving towards woodville, take the next left after the Fure station. This is Midland road ( one before mcd's) up and over the bridge, as soon as you are off the bridge, take the next left onto the industrial estate, drive in and keep left and drive clockwise around the estate. They are in the far right corner of the estate.

Martyn

djinuk

ah yes i know the one martyn (just up from highbury hose, ill pay him a visit) Ill try a few more pug dealers however i tried 2 yesterday which both gave me the same result " they used to be able to get them but it appears they are now n/a) although it took a phone call or to , to confirm that.

And also thankyou for the link.

Edited by djinuk