• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Idiot.. I May Have Damaged My Gti6 Engine :(

djinuk

During doing a cambelt change following the guide on 306 gti6 drivers (http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=40662&page=1) i got to the section where you lock the flywheel with a 8mm drill bit or similar to undo the bottom pulley.. I did this , the drill bit sheered off and appears to have knocked a small chunk out of the sump somehow.. im not sure if its only in the section of sump that sticks out but does not contain oil but i will see.. Guess i have to remove the gearbox and clutch and flywheel to see if there is any bits sat behind it.. damn gutted ;)

Saying that im only presuming the section of the sump got knocked out when doing this as i never noticed it before and i cant find the peice of sump anywhere :S

21122007661.jpg

GTI6BOY

i cant see a problem tbh?

djinuk

sorry its not obvious from the photo really but can see the dark area (triangle) where the sump meets the block.. well thats a hole that im sure wasnt there before.

failing that i may be paranoid and maybe there is a hole there as standard.. could anybody check for me ?

Edited by djinuk

hexhamstu

looks fine to me.

GTI6BOY

me too

Peetypug

why lock the flywheel?

i put a pin through the pully itself (or has yours spun round like most others?)

taylorspug

It all looks fine to me too.

Its alot easier to lock the flywheel with a lever bar on one of the flywheel teeth, and then get a helper to undo the bolt. Much better locking the flywheel as its bigger so less force required to hold it still. Tbh i wouldnt ever use a drill bit to undo the pulley bolt, they arent designed to take that sort of load in shear.

djinuk

yea my bottom pulley had spun ;). Does that mean to say the point on the sump ive brought up there should be a whole there? as i never noticed it before. Also should i remove the flywheel to get the small piece of drill bit out ?

feb

That hole is ok to be there, I am not sure if there should be a plastic cover over it though, I have the same question for the 205. Do you think you dropped the drill in it?

Edited by feb

Miles

If the flywheel has the drill bit in it then it needs removing really,

To echo the above you should not use a Drill bit to lock the flywheel either as Dan has said or a impact gun but I know these can be tight ****er's.

feb

So shouldn't there be a plastic cover on that hole to prevent things from dropping in?

GTI6BOY

what like a great big starter motor...lol

hexhamstu

to cover the whole fly wheel bit you can see? if so then no. well mine doesnt have one....

GTI6BOY

how do you start you car then hexhamstu?

hexhamstu
how do you start you car then hexhamstu?

i dont it doesnt run.

GTI6BOY

lol

djinuk
i dont it doesnt run.

haha quality ..

thanks for all the help guys, sure you know what it feels like when you take 1 step forwards, and 2 steps back.

Going to remove the gearbox , clutch and fly wheel on sunday and removed the peice of drill bit. Guessing a zip gun will be needed to remove the flywheel.. Ill pop up and borrow a friends.

Thanks again :D:)

EdCherry

Id personally just take the box off and inspect behind the flywheel, you should be able to see. Rattle gun isn't needed but makes it so much easier. Remember to use new bolts when you put the flywheel back on.

welshpug

just wedge your biggest screwdriver or a chisel in the ring gear teeth and undo the crank pulley bolt, an assistant would be useful to stop the engine moving, I usually manage to do them on my own though and I'm a weedly bloke :)

djinuk
Id personally just take the box off and inspect behind the flywheel, you should be able to see. Rattle gun isn't needed but makes it so much easier. Remember to use new bolts when you put the flywheel back on.

ah damn, didnt know new bolts were needed on flywheel.. another trip to pug it is then :),

Ethos
ah damn, didnt know new bolts were needed on flywheel.. another trip to pug it is then :lol:,

I didn't and it still seems fine :D:)

oli-pug

Yeh, whatever you don't undo the pulley just by locking it with a drill bit. I learnt the hard way and ended up with a broken bottom cambelt cover :lol:

brumster

I really would do the new bolts thing. I had them come loose half-way through the Dukeries, put me out of that event with a flywheel clattering around on the end of the crank ;) thankfully stopped before any serious damage was done!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate you should change the bolts matter-of-course; only meant IF you take it off, make sure you put new ones on :lol:

Edited by brumster

taylorspug

I doubt you will need to take the flywheel off to find the bit of drill, surely you can get it out with box off at most?

djinuk

not sure how much room there is behind the flywheel, you may be right though as its only going to be a tiny piece.

saying that it may have came out itself, bit of a risk though really.

Sign in to follow this