• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Misfire At 5k

MrG

I am running an 8v on carbs, have changed the cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads (and they've done about a 1000 miles mainly track focused). Was at Cadwell on weds, car was faultless in the morning, afternoon (after filling up) it started to miss at 5k, before 5k and after 5k its fine. It started around 2.45pm but by 3.30pm it had cleared and was actually bloody marvellous up to 5pm when the flag came out to stop the day, but the miss reappeared on the way home?

So I'm thinking the coil could be at fault here as thats the only thing I've not changed (and it looks old!).

Can anyone give me a pointer as to what else to look at?

I also need to change the alternator as I'm not sure on that since my battery episode as tested OK, so could that be adding to the problem?

Thanks

Andrew

Anthony

Coil or ignition amp would be my first ports of call

MrG

cheers Anthony, I may well just replace both and be done with it! Even if it doesn't cure the problem they are things off the list.

MrG

regards the coil, I have it off and its the old style cylinder type. I am looking about and nowhere lists the 205 with this? Do I need a specific item (i.e works with ballasted ignition??) or can I just buy a 'std' 12v coil?

jackherer

I'd try the ignition amp first, they fail far more often than coils in my experience.

MrG

thanks Jack will do