• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Which Aftermarket Oil Cooler Setup Is Best?

Ryan

1/2 is plenty big enough for the amount of oil that flows through the XU. The ports on the Mocal sandwich plates are normally only 1/2 anyway, so you're not really gaining anything by using 5/8 pipework.

wracing

the reason i said 5/8 is that if you look at one of the end fittings esp hyd piping (thats what i use) there is a large flow restriction.

if you go with 5/8 it leaves you with 1/2" nominal along the pipe.

James_R

Oil temps wise, wants to be above 75 and (below cracking) 120deg ish, the close to 75 the better., but it's hard ot have a cooling set up that doesn't over cool the oil under normal driving, as that's as bad as over heated oil aswell

I use 1/2" pipe, the oil galleries in the engine are the most major constriction, if they're bigger than that then flow isn't going to be an issue.

davidc

A wee bit off topic but.......

any recomendations for replacing the std oil cooler on a 1.9 GTi with an aftermarket one ? what size/rows ?

also, what fittings are on the oil cooler ends of the std pipes & on the take off end of the pipes ?

Cheers,

David

mikebullock84

got a mocal 16? row cooler on mine, only a 1.9 with tame mods like piper cam and big valve head, never seen the temp rise once!

2009_1217co-op0014.jpg

Sign in to follow this