• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silver6

[engine_work] 306>205 Gti-6

Silver6

Hey chaps, sorry for not really being on this forum much. I've got myself a HGF 205 GTi (ph1) which is ripe for a gti-6 swap, and given that I had the 306 written off (rear-ended shunt) from a Corsa...it seems a wasted opportunity if I don't take the plunge ;)

Anyways, So far i've stripped down the 306 to a bare shell pretty much and i'm looking for any info really (search box key points) to accomplish said task-in-hand.

Info such as:

-Clutches to use

-Flywheel to use

-Wiring issues from Loom to Loom

And any other problems people have encountered previously when doing this conversion

306 GTi-6>205 GTi-5 progress so far:

DSC00456-1.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00532-1.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

I must declare at this point I am no mechanical genius and I have an extremely limited knowledge of all things engine related. I'm a scientist by trade so.... :S

I also got hold of a 23mm 406 Non-ABS M/C ready for the '6 brake swap

DSC00492.jpg

....And before Stu says anything "I DO NOT HAVE OCD!"

dcc

The engine in my gti6 uses the clutch from an mi16.

I think you would need to use the '6 fly because of the teeth for the sensor.

You will have to spend a bit of time on identifying the wires from both looms to mate them! there are loads of threads on this.

The most common way to get the engine to fit, is to lower it by 10mm all round, this is done by using a rs2000 topmount afaik, and putting a spacer on the gearbox bolt!

Silver6

Well its been a while since I started thread so I suppose I better update it:

Gearbox off

DSC00556-1.jpg

BX 16v Clutch Fitted

DSC00566.jpg

Dragging the '6 out the garage, both rears are locked so it took a while

DSC00570-1.jpg

DSC00572-1.jpg

Silver6

Then my mate came over to lend a hand as i'd put a fair few man hours into his V6 Conversion (306) so it was only fair.

This is todays progress:

DSC00576-1.jpg

DSC00577-1.jpg

DSC00578-1.jpg

DSC00579-1.jpg

DSC00580-1.jpg

Paul_13

Did you escape from the island?

Seen this on 306 :wacko: Nice work

gti-si

Hello Hurley!

Paul_13

Glad someone got my joke lol

decoc182

lol hurley... guess im not the only lost fan ;) more pics needed cmon im excited!! ;):)

djinuk

looks to be a good start man..

my advice would be to let spiky build the loom for you and put your efforts and concentration into other areas. Like i say mate you are more than welcome to come down to my neck of the woods and take a look or even just to discuss any areas of my conversion. If you need any welding doing etc i have a very good welder who does most of my bits based in tutbury and his prices are spot on , so for the manifold welding , exhaust etc look no further..

Be good to meet you man, best of luck with the conversion

Silver6

LOL! Thats not me! Thats my mate Dave!

Sorry about the absence.

I'll get some pics up of the car later on but currently:

The Engine is in.

Driveshafts are fitted.

Wiring loom has been sent off and returned to me

Fuel System is finished

DSC00612-1.jpg

Image0009.jpg

Image0011.jpg

DSC00613-1.jpg

Image0050.jpg

Image0051.jpg

Edited by Silver6

Silver6

Image0054.jpg

Image0058.jpg

Image0056.jpg

I'm in need of some advice over the cooling system. If anyone has some sketchy diagrams or idea's to the common way of doing things i'd appreciate it. I've already t-pieced off the header tank and I know about the Derv Water Dist. Block, but a diagram of sorts would be great :rolleyes:

Also, do most people use a Ph2 Radiator for the conversion? There's a small Dia coolant pipe going to the block from the Rad on the 306...and the Ph1 Radiator in the 205 doesn't seem to have such an outlet/inlet

Edited by Silver6

Silver6

Cheers Spiky!

Image0060.jpg

Loom going in

Image0065.jpg

Top Dash going in

Image0067.jpg

Wipers and Scuttle panel fitted

Image0068.jpg

Illuminations! :D

Image0066.jpg

Image0070.jpg

And how it looked when I left (after 2 hours... 9-11am this morning)

Image0069.jpg

pugpete1108

from the looks of it that mc is gonna foul the cam cover when the engine moves, std engine mounts?

Silver6
from the looks of it that mc is gonna foul the cam cover when the engine moves, std engine mounts?

Uprated 306 Top Mount, Pugsport Torque Bush :lol: Plus the engine is only going to rock backwards from its position as it is (if any) and then return, not proceed further forwards

Daviewonder

Looks like its coming on quite well mate, I hope to do one of these conversions in the near future :rolleyes: . any updates?

Silver6

Not really done a great deal recently. I've been too busy with Work.

What i have done though:

Fitted most of the interior back in, I think there is only one panel left to fit...the one under the steering column, and the steering rack shroud.

I got it to turn over the other day but wouldn't fire as the ECU is away with Rich Walker being Unlocked and "fettled" shall we say

Once thats back, and my water dist. block arrives (hopefully today) I can crack on with fitting the rest of the cooling system, and while the engine is off its top mount, i'll get the downpipe mounted up. What is it that people have done with the Downpipe situation? Is it merely a modification to run a Lambda Sensor or does the angle need changing also?

I need some new gear linkages too as some of them were pretty old and decided to part company with either end of themselves...

I also need some new DropLinks as they're cheap enough to be chopped in half when I dropped the hub off the strut to get the shafts back in.

Other than that its pretty much done. I guess once it fires with the ECU plugged in i shall see whether there are any altercations with the Engine. There shouldn't be in all honesty, as it ran spot on when it was removed.

djinuk

hey man, good to see its still going on , ive just sorted my fuel lines if you want to take a look, also im just about to tackle the downpipe aswel.

Silver6

Sorry for the lack of replies on this, i'm seldom on the computer :/

Anyways:

Downpipe is fitted, new Droplinks fitted, DS greased and sealed, Fuel lines finished, Gear Linkages are on Route, as is the Thermostat Adapter and top hose off Stew Baker.

New battery has been fitted, ECU and all sensors plugged in and what not, yet it won't start! I've got +12v cranking power, fuel eagerly waiting at the rail but it appears there's no spark.

In addition to this, there are two alternator cables, both being +ve (one off the '6 loom, the other off the 205 +ve feed from the battery) - With only one connected, the pump doesn't prime, or make any signs of life at all, but with them both connected it seems fine, yet the battery icon is illuminated on the dashboard....HELP!?

Silver6

All Sorted now. I had the fuel pipes the wrong way round, so a quick change over and she fired first crank. Happy Days.

I've swapped the GTi Setup to the 6 Brake Setup today and sqeezed the speedlines back on, finished the coolant system and fitted the new gear linkages

All thats left to do is bleed the brakes, fill the coolant up and mate the exhaust up to the downpipe and its all done!

Image0015-1.jpg

Image0016-1.jpg

Image0018-1.jpg

Image0019-1.jpg

Image0022.jpg

Image0021.jpg

th_Video0000.jpg