• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

[body_work] Grille Respray Mini Project...

chocolate_o_brian

As my wheel refurb thread went down well, and after comments about my grille, I've decided to do a mini project thread incase it's of use to anyone in the future.

Basically as my front grille stands...

S6300718-1.jpg

... I've had a little stick for the "cheesey" GTi badge that sits on the offside of it. In my defense it was there when I bought the car last June, so I assumed it was a standard part.

Now you may think "oh, just peel it off and use some tar remover to get rid of the residue" will suffice, but not with whatever this has been stuck on with. I tried it once and it took the laquer off the grill with it :rolleyes: So it got stuck back on until another grill came up...

...which it did! :mellow:

A big thankyou to Rupert Finch who, after seeing my wheel refurb thread, pm'ed me on here offering a mint condition grille (albeit in cherry red) for nothing. After posting it, the guy wouldn't even accept some ££ for postage, and instead insisted I make the donation to the 'Help 4 Heroes' charity as an alternative. The gentleman is a credit to the forum spirit.

So my plan is basically to take the newly aquired grille apart to save lots of masking, then clean up the badge and backing part, and then sand/spray the red part of the grille to graphite grey. Luckily I have a little primer and laquer left from the wheel refurb a few weeks ago, so all I need spend on this is £6 on a can of spray paint from Halfrauds. Happy days B)

Right, first off then, I got the badge off. This is held onto the grille by 4 weird clip things. I found that by pinching the clip together it made it slip through the holes easily enough with a little elbow grease.

Before...

S6300831.jpg

After...

S6300832.jpg

You can see the 4 clips here. I was gentle as not to snap any off, and will probably use a blob of silicone on reassembling incase the clips are to damaged to hold it together themselves...

S6300833.jpg

Next was the p.i.t.a. part. There was 12 clips in 4 blocks of 3 to get round to seperate the black backing part with the front red part. Having only limited tools, I found the best form of attack was to grip the clips with some thin pliers and twist them (instead of pinching) through the holes. This was because when opened they are like an oval shape, so once twisted fit through the little holes with some persuasion.

All 12 clips off, no damaged clips and the grille is sperated...

S6300834.jpg

Next job (after the Mrs had made pasta for tea) is to give all parts a really good clean. Then sanding of the red part.

Will see how I get on tonight, but I doubt this will be as thorough to do as the wheel thread!

Tesstuff

I like your threads :P

Very understanding wife you have there ;)

chocolate_o_brian
I like your threads :D

Very understanding wife you have there :P

Hahahaha, fiancee, but pretty much married.

This one's not taking part in the bathroom as it's a lot less ambitious :D

Kitchen sink this time for the cleaning and sanding. I rub her back and wash the pots occasionally, she's happy ;)

chocolate_o_brian

I wanted to ask a couple questions...

1. What grade wet/dry paper would folk use to sand the painted (red) part of the grille down with, and would you use it wet or dry?

2. Is there something I could buy to repaint the lion badge as the silver is wearing away.

More later when I get round to it (been busy today).

chocolate_o_brian

Holy thread ressurection Batman!

ThreadRessurection.jpg

:lol:

Forgotton about this due to being rather hectic of recent.

Anywho, got started on the sanding of the red grill piece today with some wet 120 grit wet/dry paper and a soapy kitchen sink - the Mrs is out but she'll be real mad when I go pick her up after posting this :lol::ph34r:

DSC00034.jpg

I'm gonna go over it with a finer 240 grit afterwards to get a smoother finish.

Kit I'm using - nice 'n' simple...

DSC00035.jpg

Various wet/dry combo's for current sanding (and post primer sanding too). Can 300ml plastic primer in grey, can of 300ml Peugeot graphite grey, and 2 quarter 500ml cans of laquer. Oh and the paint prep wipes for a clean, dirt free surface to spray.

Possibly more tonight after England - Brazil

smiley-england.gif

ALEX

You didin't need to remove all the paint!

I've prepped mine with 600 grade (mainly to smooth out a couple of stone chips) then finish with Grade 800.

About right to key in new paint (I was told)

When it drys you can clearly see the shiny bits you missed.

Edited by ALEX

chocolate_o_brian
You didin't need to remove all the paint!

I've prepped mine with 600 grade (mainly to smooth out a couple of stone chips) then finish with Grade 800.

About right to key in new paint (I was told)

When it drys you can clearly see the shiny bits you missed.

Ooops, I'll make sure the primer is spot on then afterwards.

nickaliath

yeah, basically all you need to do is:

- Flat out any chips scratches using dry 320 (if your high building) or dry 600 if just wet on wet primer.

- then if you highbuilt flat that down with 600 as basecoat will cover 600 no problems.

- if you didnt highbuild then finish with either 600 or 800 as wet on wet primer will cover fine.

- if theres no scratches or chips you can just use 3m scotch brite to prep the basecoat straight over then lacquer finish.

Rupertfinch

Very kind comments about me choc o'b! I'm touched (though not in a Gary Glitter related way...). Good luck with this and I hope it looks the biz when finished.

Guest 205bluebullet

nice ride you have there

I actually did the same to mine!!

the front now looks like a beast :D

Baz

I happened to do this last night, disassembled, flatted with 1200 wet & dry, cleaned, degreased and left on the storage heater to dry. I'll lightly blow over with plastic primer on the thin bits then top coat and lacquer i'll do some time soon.

chocolate_o_brian

Thanks for the comments guy - hopefully get some more of it done over the week.