• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Rad Fan

damo

for some reason my fan doesnt kick in any more? temp shows on the dash so I guess its something else.

i also notice the rad light appearing on the dash sometimes if this has anything to do with it.

anyone help as i assumne its a sensor and i can find one on the rad in the nearside corner, blue in coluor so is this it?

RobBBoi

If you have an after-market air filter behind the headlight they can wobble about and knock something out of the top of the rad/fans. Just plug it back in and it should be ok. Happened to me, hopefully yours is as easy to fix

richard

you can test the fan by bridging the brown plug near the battery. i think...looking at it the pins are 1 3 5, 1 3 equals low speed, 3 5 equals full speed.

Beware that if yours has failed, it could lead to premature head gasket failure. (happened to me). Also check the shunt box near the battery (black box thing with power cable from battery goes into it, there are a number of fuses in there too)

My loom around that area was knackered so ordered one from peugeot, had to come from france....cost a lot and took over 3 weeks to arrive. Its worked fine for the past 3 to 4 years

manrajf
for some reason my fan doesnt kick in any more? temp shows on the dash so I guess its something else.

i also notice the rad light appearing on the dash sometimes if this has anything to do with it.

anyone help as i assumne its a sensor and i can find one on the rad in the nearside corner, blue in coluor so is this it?

I had this problem with my car, i just bought a new sensor (the blue one) from gsf and that fixed the problem

manraj

Tom Fenton

The sensors do seem to fail regularly, they are not very good it seems! If you phone up a motor factors they will give you a huge list of possibles, you want the one with the red ring.

Alan_M

There are only a few things that can go wrong with these, temp switch, resistor or the fan itself. I checked mine the other day to find it had seized.

DrSarty

You told me in Germany Damo that you'd tested/hot-wired the fan & it worked; so at least it's not that. This means the wiring is ok too.

A rad switch/thermo sensor - the one which simply screws into the rad and is about 26mm diameter - will cost about £20-25. You are right that there are several types. You'd be best taking yours out and to the Pug dealer or motorfactors as their temp range/rating is stamped on the side.

This will leave a bloody great hole in your rad so is an opportunity to refresh your coolant.

I'm a bit confused at which dash light you're referring to. One could be coolant level (fixed by a simple top up) and the other is the red warning light at the top of the coolant temp dial. These a both separate circuits, and the high temp warning light & temp gauge are also fed off of separate circuits, and the sensors IIRC screw into/near the thermostat housing and have spade terminals on them. You can test which one is which by taking the wire off of the spade terminal and touching each one to earth. You will either get the temp guage needle shoot up to the top or the high temp light come on. This way you'll be able to fault find everything in the coolant circuit/system.

Good luck fellow EuroTripper.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

don't forget to check the arrangement of pins on your thermoswitch plug, early ones are in a |_| shape, later are - - - with a different plug.

Tom Fenton
A rad switch/thermo sensor - the one which simply screws into the rad and is about 26mm diameter - will cost about £20-25. You are right that there are several types. You'd be best taking yours out and to the Pug dealer or motorfactors as their temp range/rating is stamped on the side.

As above, if it is the later type connection (1990 onwards) you need the one with the red ring on it. I bought one this week for £12. I wouldn't go to the main dealer, they will be horrendously expensive.

Rob_the_Sparky
Beware that if yours has failed, it could lead to premature head gasket failure. (happened to me). Also check the shunt box near the battery (black box thing with power cable from battery goes into it, there are a number of fuses in there too)

It can lead to very rapid head gasket failure so do be careful and drive as little as possible with it in this state. I've lost two head gaskets to this problem (and one engine after a head bolt snapped getting the head off).

damo

thx for the pointers, sods law i dont have the correct spanner!! 26 too small and I guess its a 27.

anyway any ideas on the part number? its blue and the connectors are the _ _ _ type

damien
You told me in Germany Damo that you'd tested/hot-wired the fan & it worked; so at least it's not that. This means the wiring is ok too.

This will leave a bloody great hole in your rad so is an opportunity to refresh your coolant.

I'm a bit confused at which dash light you're referring to. One could be coolant level (fixed by a simple top up) and the other is the red warning light at the top of the coolant temp dial. These a both separate circuits, and the high temp warning light & temp gauge are also fed off of separate circuits, and the sensors IIRC screw into/near the thermostat housing and have spade terminals on them. You can test which one is which by taking the wire off of the spade terminal and touching each one to earth. You will either get the temp guage needle shoot up to the top or the high temp light come on. This way you'll be able to fault find everything in the coolant circuit/system.

Good luck fellow EuroTripper.

think you got the wrong damien :)<_<

as most people said it is most likely the thermo sensor whitch is blue and plugs in the rad, if your looking down at the rad its below the top water hose.

DrSarty
think you got the wrong damien :lol::)

as most people said it is most likely the thermo sensor whitch is blue and plugs in the rad, if your looking down at the rad its below the top water hose.

Yeah; what a div!! But haven't you got exactly the same problem?

I may have been p1ssed. <_<

damo

<_<

did the wire trick etc so the fans are working.

any ideas on the size to get it out? 27 I assume?

also on the part, I have 4 to pick, what temp range do i need -

92-97

83-88

95-100

87-92

I would assume the lower one is best but the red ring one is the 92-97, seems high?

Damo.

welshpug

check that the plug arrangement matches as mentioned, 92-97 is the standard switching temperature, the higher one is for the diesel IIRC.

damo

thx for the help. all sorted now, fans working again :lol: