• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Saveit

Xu7j4 Perfect Basis For A 1600 16v

taylorspug

Cant help but agree with the comment(s) regarding the bike carbs. Id either get some Webers etc or maybe use a standard 6 inlet manifold and throttle body, im sure it will be capable of flowing the power you are looking for, alot of the gti6 boys see around 200hp with the standard inlet. Would be alot less work to fit, the only disadvantage would be the need for ignition and fuel management (Emerald, Omex, DTA etc).

Saveit

I have decided to buy wossner high comp pistons. But i have some trouble finding useable conrods. Take these (LINK) for example. It says that they are supposed to be used in the 205 1.6 gti 8v engine, but as far as i can tell only the length is right? Small end is 20mm (but appearently boreable to 22mm) and big end dia is 48.6mm where the 1.6 engine is 45mm standard right? How am i suppose to use those rods then?!

If anybody have any ideas on some other conrods at a reasonable price (not Carrillos) i am very interested!

welshpug

1.6 big end diameter in the con rod will be the same as quoted, you forget that its actually the journal that is 45mm, the conrod is larger to accept the bearing <_<

I believe the rods are made to acept a smaller gudgeon pin to save weight, the pistons I think can be specified with a smaller bore for the pin to suit.

I worked out the standard Mi16 piston + XU10J4R/RS head combination and standard gasket to be about 9.6-1, fine for a road engine IMO, you'd need an intruder dome to push the compression up more.

Saveit

Yeah ill go with wossner high comp pistons (11.8:1). But do you recon that these conrods will be useable then? And how do you recon i can bore them up to 22mm? I have a one of these LINK which i guess could do the job with some polishing afterwards? Or does this have to be done on some fancy tech machine?

Sandy

The 1.6 rods are 150.5mm centre to centre, the 48.6mm is the diameter of the hole in the rod, with the bearing shells fitted it's 45mm. The standard gudgeon pin is definitely 22mm, I've just checked again.

Saveit

Yeah but my question was whether it is possible to bore the small end up by myself with the machine i linked to and some careful polishing afterwards? Or is this impossible?

Saveit

Someone? Do you think it could work?

James_R

I think just by asking a question like that it's a no. well it's a yes, but reliability I'm not sure anyone could say

Saveit

Hmm okay. You are probably right.

Sandy

You need to be operating to a serious level of precision to perform that sort of operation. I know several very good machinists, but there's only one of them I would ask to do that sort of operation.

Sign in to follow this