• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

A New Strange Noise From Up Front

humanz

Well, I've gotten the front shocks and springs replaced with used ones (was using XS shocks and lowering springs before) and I've finally connected my antiroll bar. Only a temporary setup while I sort out some funds.

But now I'm getting a wierd buzzing/rubbing/burring noise from up front. The first time it happened was after some spirited driving on some rough roads. It sounded like something was rubbing against a tyre as it turns. At the very least, like something rubbing against moving rubber. Doesn't happen all the time, and the noise seems to go away when steering to the left, or if I push the clutch in, it quietens down but I can faintly hear it.

I can't figure out where the noise could be coming from. I believe I need new bushings for the wishbones as the car pulls to one side under acceleration. Can't think of any reason I'm getting the noise. Can anyone offer places for me to start looking for the culprit?

Cheers.

AndyJ

Does it change with engine speed or wheel speed?

humanz
Does it change with engine speed or wheel speed?

I would say louder with wheel speed. As far as I remember. I'm tempted to hop into the car and try it out.

If I come off the throttle coasting downhill I still get the noise. Push in the clutch tho and I get less (hardly any) noise.

Just had a look. The shock and droplink on the O/S are coated with oil. Guess that means the shock isn't much good?

Edited by humanz

AndyJ

Could be one of the cv joints, when you press the clutch in it unloads the driveshaft and stops stressing the joints so it quietens down a bit... Does it sound like its coming from anywhere in particular?

Could also be the clutch release bearing, but that would change with engine speed. Does it change if you knock it into neutral and rev the engine?

Easiest thing is to have a look underneath and see if its something obvious first

AndyJ
Just had a look. The shock and droplink on the O/S are coated with oil. Guess that means the shock isn't much good?

Oil or grease? If its 'clean' oil the shock has gone pop, if its grease its the cv joint

jimistdt

Have you changed the entire strut and hub?

I hate stuff like this, Im having the same problem myself, I can't work out what mine is either yet. Like you I've recently changed my struts and hubs for another set. I was getting a rubbing/grinding vibrating from the front of mine, I thought it was N/S, so I changed the wheel bearing. This almost remedied it, but now its as bad as before, but I can't quite pinpoint the noise. But I'm hoping its the O/S.

I'm going to ride around with a mechanic I know tomorrow (one with two working ears) to get another opinion and see if he can locate the noise.

The only difference between mine and yours is that mine doesn't stop when I press the clutch. And I haven't got oil on my strut and drop-link :rolleyes:

humanz
Could be one of the cv joints, when you press the clutch in it unloads the driveshaft and stops stressing the joints so it quietens down a bit...

It's probably a cv joint then. Have to try putting it in neutral and revving to be sure it's not the clutch release bearing. I can't tell the area the noise is coming from. Only that it sounds like O/S. I'm not very good at locating sounds while I'm driving.

Have you changed the entire strut and hub?

Sorry to hear Jimi. I really like this car, but I just haven't had much confidence in my front end recently. I haven't replaced my hubs, but that's on my very long todo list. Just waiting on a company here to stop playing around with my savings. Anyways, I'll try to restrict the car to the short drives from home to work and back, until I can afford to bring in all the parts I need.

It's oil I believe. The boot of the cv joint looks fine. The thing is, the car only went to the mech about a week ago for the N/S cv joint. It kinda sucks to have to take it back to him so soon for him to check the other side.

Whups. Just remembered. I also feel the vibration from the noise in the accelerator pedal. Don't know if that means anything, but it did strike me as....odd. But what do i know.

jimistdt

Morning! I've just been to see my mate who seems to think its the intermediate bearing on the Driveshaft, I thought i'd give you some food for thought. In fact...if you send me a couple flight tickets I'll come and have a look for you :P:D

DamirGTI

Dying diff bearings perhaps :lol: or gearbox input shaft bearing ..

Checked the wheel bearings and driveshaft CV joints yet ? :) (for checking wheel bearings you need to jack the car up and spin each wheel one by one in direction of rotation whilst listening for grinding/rubbing sound ... try to rock each wheel as well grab it first at 12 and 6h and afterwards at 9 and 3h .. as for driveshafts , lay underneath the car with one hand grab the shaft in position after the CV joint and with other hand on the CV joint and try to "turn" the shafts with up/down/turn movement in normal direction of rotation and check for excessive free play/clonking sound where the shaft enters the CV joint assembly)

Is the wheel alignment properly adjusted ? (take a look at the track rod ends – count visible/exposed threads and compare them left to the right side , it'll have to be same amount of visible threads on both the left and the right track rod ends if done properly)

Damir B)

humanz
Dying diff bearings perhaps :rolleyes: or gearbox input shaft bearing ..

Checked the wheel bearings and driveshaft CV joints yet ? :mellow: (for checking wheel bearings you need to jack the car up and spin each wheel one by one in direction of rotation whilst listening for grinding/rubbing sound ... try to rock each wheel as well grab it first at 12 and 6h and afterwards at 9 and 3h .. as for driveshafts , lay underneath the car with one hand grab the shaft in position after the CV joint and with other hand on the CV joint and try to "turn" the shafts with up/down/turn movement in normal direction of rotation and check for excessive free play/clonking sound where the shaft enters the CV joint assembly)

Is the wheel alignment properly adjusted ? (take a look at the track rod ends – count visible/exposed threads and compare them left to the right side , it'll have to be same amount of visible threads on both the left and the right track rod ends if done properly)

Damir B)

The noise hasn't returned. And I haven't checked for play in the wheel bearings or driveshafts yet. Been a bit busy. The track rod ends I've had a look at from before. They don't match, so I know I'll have to get the wheels aligned. Money is the real problem right now.