• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave G

205 1.1 Coolant Level Light On

Dave G

Just done a headgasket on a 1.1 205 for a friend. Changed the gasket due to the doil seal on the front o/s of the gasket had split and was leaking oil extrernally.

not over heating of loss or water or compression or mixture of fluids in any way(drove it myself for two weeks prior with no problems. done a cambelt and pump for good measure as he covered a fair amount of miles for a work drive.)

I know have the red "low coolant level warning light" on the dash perminatly lit. I have bleed the system there is defo no air locks any where and it defonalty has coolant but still the light stays on.(its the red light in the far right of the dash on the bottom)

Can anyone tell me which sensor it reads from and if any one has had somthing similar, it dosent have a sensor in the expenasion bottle so im guessing its one of the three sensors on the gearox end of the cylinder head?

two fo the three sensors are single blade sensors and one is a twin pin sensor which i bleeive it changed about 12 months ago as the car wasnt coming off choke.

thanks all

pugdamo
Just done a headgasket on a 1.1 205 for a friend. Changed the gasket due to the doil seal on the front o/s of the gasket had split and was leaking oil extrernally.

not over heating of loss or water or compression or mixture of fluids in any way(drove it myself for two weeks prior with no problems. done a cambelt and pump for good measure as he covered a fair amount of miles for a work drive.)

I know have the red "low coolant level warning light" on the dash perminatly lit. I have bleed the system there is defo no air locks any where and it defonalty has coolant but still the light stays on.(its the red light in the far right of the dash on the bottom)

Can anyone tell me which sensor it reads from and if any one has had somthing similar, it dosent have a sensor in the expenasion bottle so im guessing its one of the three sensors on the gearox end of the cylinder head?

two fo the three sensors are single blade sensors and one is a twin pin sensor which i bleeive it changed about 12 months ago as the car wasnt coming off choke.

thanks all

A friend of mine got the 2 single pin connectors the wrong way round,that made the coolant light stay on,try swapping them around

Anthony

Low level sensor is on the top of the radiator, assuming it is the same as my XS.

Have you filled the radiator itself (cap on the passenger side of the rad) as simply filling the expansion tank is not enough to refill the cooling system, and it's quite plausable that the radiator level is low enough to trigger the low coolant light, even if the expansion tank is full...

Dave G

Just popped out there and done the rad thing anthony :lol:

tbh it was somthing I thought about but figured that it would sort itself out. it took about a cup full and was withing reach of my finger when I took the cap off the rad. But I couldn't see any level selsor in the rad, only the rad fan switch?is this car missing somthing etc?

I had another good look around the sensors and found a spare spade conector in the loom.

Can any one confirm the colours of the wires that should go to the two single spade sensors in the head

I one nearest the rad(front of the start housing block) i have a light purple wire on it

and the one on the side of the head i have a white/yellowly wire going to it)

Anthony
tbh it was somthing I thought about but figured that it would sort itself out. it took about a cup full and was withing reach of my finger when I took the cap off the rad. But I couldn't see any level selsor in the rad, only the rad fan switch?is this car missing somthing etc?

Left hand side of the radiator, underneath the slam panel. Same sensor as Phase 1.5 GTi's use (indeed, I'm using a Phase 1.5 GTi one on my XS now)

Can any one confirm the colours of the wires that should go to the two single spade sensors in the head

I can check mine in the morning, but the spade connectors on the thermostat housing are for the coolant temp gauge (if fitted) and coolant temp warning light, and not the level sensor.

Dave G
Anthony

No, that's the radiator fan thermoswitch, usually located underneath the top radiator hose on the right hand side